Author Topic: Sad Day  (Read 2944 times)

Offline agd68

Sad Day
« on: July 19, 2018, 09:25:39 am »
Sad day here today. I have to say goodbye to an old friend. He has been with me since he was 8 weeks old, spent too many days to recount beside me in the marsh. Wind , rain or cold he never complained and was always ready for action when called on. now he is 12 years old and time has taken it's toll. The onetime ditch leaping yellow streak can't get to his feet without help now, his eye sight is going and he has withered to a shell with fur. I know I have made the best decision for him. I know it has to be done but it still rips my heart out. Sorry to dampen anyone's day but I had to get it out. Hoping the tears and emotions expressed now help later when the times come this afternoon.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: Sad Day
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 10:53:07 am »
Sorry for your pain. Nothing like losing a friend.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 10:56:24 am »
When we take on pets it is up to us to do the right thing when the time comes. I'm very sorry for your loss and I know what you are going through. We had to put down our choc lab, Lucy, 2 years ago, only one in a long line of pets over the last 40 years. It is a hard thing to do but since we take over the responsibility we do what's right when the time comes.
Again, sorry for your loss.  :'(
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 02:59:29 pm »
The loss of close family is always hard.  In many ways it is worse because we have to make that decision for them.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline agd68

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 03:29:54 pm »
Well, the deed is done and my old boy is at rest. My kids came over to help bury him. They grew up with him and wanted to be there. Thank You guys for your kind sentiments. Hard as it was I'm glad I did'nt put it off and let him suffer to spare my feelings. I read a poem that was very helpful shortly before we had to take him to the vet. Hope you all dont mind I.ll post it here.

You Did Me A kindness

You Did Me a Kindness
When my legs grew too weak to carry me,
And my tired eyes could no longer see,
When it pained me to struggle for each new breath,
When my heart beat weaker, and I drew closer to death,
You did me the kindness of letting me go.
You didn't make me hang on when I was suffering so.
I promise I don't think that you loved me any less,
And I love you all the more for your selflessness.
You freed my spirit from its body so wracked with pain,
And let me run the fields of Heaven, where I'm sure we'll meet again.

i'
Happiness is..

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 05:08:35 pm »
A very sweet remembrance. I have had many come and go.
It is never easy. RIP
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 09:28:57 pm »
I know the pain well. My heart goes out to you.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 02:53:08 am »
Thoughts and Prayers sent - never easy. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 05:13:52 am »
Sorry for your loss. It's hard to loss a friend like that. I know they can't be replaced, but I hope you'll consider a new different friend. I'm pretty sure your old friend would want that.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 06:16:03 am »
Sorry for your loss, been there done that many times and it is never easy. :(
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline agd68

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 02:04:48 pm »
Thank You all for your kind words. You know, anyone who says animals dont understand death never had a pack of dogs. We had 2 labs and a pointing Griffon. On his last day the old boy was pretty close to the end I think. He spent most of the day just laying on his pillow. What was surprising was our young lab spent alot of time just sitting with him, at one point he actually curled up beside the old guy.
When we brought him home we laid him out in the shade and let the other two come to see him. They ran up but you could see the minute they knew he was dead, their body posture changed.
Happiness is..

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 08:04:31 pm »
Thank You all for your kind words. You know, anyone who says animals dont understand death never had a pack of dogs. We had 2 labs and a pointing Griffon. On his last day the old boy was pretty close to the end I think. He spent most of the day just laying on his pillow. What was surprising was our young lab spent alot of time just sitting with him, at one point he actually curled up beside the old guy.
When we brought him home we laid him out in the shade and let the other two come to see him. They ran up but you could see the minute they knew he was dead, their body posture changed.

I have seen this firsthand. I think it helps them understand.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 07:13:32 am »
So sorry for your loss... my boy is 17 and gettin slower everyday..
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 11:38:50 pm »
The old hound has crossed to the other side!  Fret not, for they will all be waiting to hear your horn, or call when you come across!  Raise a glass, and smile, for the puppy just galloped into The room, looking for you!  Btw, I got to geta tissue and dry my eyes.  We have all probably had to decide it was time to let go!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 11:29:54 am »
Sorry for your loss.