Author Topic: Diagnostic issue w/ pics  (Read 5365 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Diagnostic issue w/ pics
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2018, 04:27:16 pm »
That's a excellent question Bush smooth on doesn't like to adhere to smooth surfaces , I grind my lams to a minimum 50 grit preferably 36 grit and clean the surface with acid tone, I agree looks like a de lam in the pics if the glue line is right and surfaces right it shouldn't separate like that, looks at least in the pic like the backing separated clean .
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2018, 06:53:04 pm »
Thank you guys so much for your continued diligence in helping me figure this thing out.  :)

For surface prep, I flatten everything out with my jointer and then sand w/ 50 grit glued onto a wood block.

Hold on, I'm going out to look at the broken bows...

Okay I just went and looked very closely. It definitely wasn't a de-lam. I can see how it looks that way in the pics, but upon close inspection I'm confident we can rule that out.

"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2018, 07:45:46 pm »
Jeff I'm afraid I'm probably not a big help here. I've never tried a wood backed bow, but if I understood you correctly you heated prior to gluing up on caul? Did you heat the backing to? Any chance the heat is damaging your backing? Could maybe explain why breaking in same area to. Just a question I had.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bushboy

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2018, 08:27:42 pm »
Sorry to beat a dead horse on this one!seems Chris was right all along!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2018, 02:51:32 am »
Pearly may be right but its good to verify all the bones , Bow CSI...,lol , I personaly dont trust kiln dried lumber for backing , just because you really dont know how it was treated , I make my own air dried backing , core wood I have no problem with kiln dried but Im selective where its coming from , Jeff your getting a belt sander you have the jointer & band saw its pretty easy to make a make shift thickness sander out of one , Ben on here did a effective simple set up like that & the backing strips dry quickly if you dont have seasoned wood for it , at least eliminates the bone problems in the exspermentle world !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2018, 06:45:44 pm »
Good question BJ. I kept the heat away from the backing 100%.

I think Chris is right as well. I'm also a bit suspicious about the backing. The only way to find out for sure is to redesign the reflex w/ Chris' suggestions in mind and back w/ a homemade hickory strip (as you suggest SB), which is precisely what I'm in the process of doing.

Can't thank ya'll enough for your input. Bow CSI at it's best.  )P(
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb