Author Topic: Sitka alder shoot shafts  (Read 2917 times)

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Sitka alder shoot shafts
« on: May 03, 2008, 04:11:44 am »
 I have made a bakers dozen alder shoot shafts.Most of them have an oak insert glued in and the self knocks cut in,I stained them with onion skin dye(I saw the recipe here)
There are also several that have not been dyed and no insert put in yet for contrast.Will finish with inserts and nocks and then start fletching.Will post completed pictures when the feathers and finish is on.  Frank

[attachment deleted by admin]
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Sparrow

• Dream Fish Charters
Re: Sitka alder shoot shafts
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 04:21:18 am »
Oopps...I took that picture several days ago,since then I cut another shoot,de-barked and layed it on the dining table for a couple of days,straightening it every time I walked by it as it dried for 3 or 4 days.I shaved it down on the thick end and put it in the chuck of my cordless drill and wrapped some sand paper around it and pulled the trigger.That really does a great job of sanding out all of the tool marks and making it perfectly round.I know,its not very primitive but I have done it the hard way many times and right now I am into fast,and boy does that sand them fast.  Frank

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 11:38:13 pm »
wow, they look really good.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline woodenwonder

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 02:54:08 pm »
You know a bakers dozen is thirteen don't you?

Offline Sparrow

• Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 04:41:05 pm »
Yeah I caught that too,read post#2, Usually I do arrows up 5 or 6 at a time but me and my wife have been taking walks about everyday and I seem to always see a good arrow shoot every time,they just keep piling up.Leaves are coming out now and soon won't be able to see them just hanging out there.Might have to break down and buy a fletching jig.  Frank