Author Topic: Hickory....  (Read 2800 times)

Offline JesseBeaux

Hickory....
« on: September 09, 2018, 12:59:14 am »
IDK why but I'm obsessed with Hickory bows! I've never shot one or built one. However, I just think their cool... I know Osage is the best but what's your opinion on Hickory? I live in Texas so what would you recommend sealing the bow with? SHARE PICTURES OF YOUR HICKORY BOW IF YOU DONT MIND!

Offline Morgan

Re: Hickory....
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 01:32:12 am »
Hickory can make a very good bow. A good clean hickory stave will take more abuse and ignore more mistakes than any wood I know of.
I don’t know if you have made any bows before, but,  I personally think a beginner would have a way above average chance at success  if they made  their first bow from a clean hickory stave with a perfect back, it’s just very very hard to break a good hickory stave.
Hickory has it’s downfalls in performance in a humid environment, but a beginning bow maker isn’t likely to be too put off by this.
Osage is the best bow wood, but there are tons of very good bow woods out there.
Make you a hickory bow, but don’t get too hung up on one species, cut and use whatever you can get your hands on.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 06:11:56 am »
I love a good piece of hickory and have no problem with it.  I live in the Deep South where the heat and humidity hang on through the first few weeks of bow season.  I store my bows indoors in the air conditioned environment that I thank God for.  I have experienced few problems with my hickory bows during a day of hunting.  Once the hunt is over, I unstring it and put it back indoors in the climate control.  I seal mine with spray poly or shellac.  My advice is to cut  it in the early summer or spring while the sap is flowing.  You can debark it easily then.  It is tough to do later on when that bark seizes up.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 07:25:11 am »
I love a good piece of hickory and have no problem with it.  I live in the Deep South where the heat and humidity hang on through the first few weeks of bow season.  I store my bows indoors in the air conditioned environment that I thank God for.  I have experienced few problems with my hickory bows during a day of hunting.  Once the hunt is over, I unstring it and put it back indoors in the climate control.  I seal mine with spray poly or shellac.  My advice is to cut  it in the early summer or spring while the sap is flowing.  You can debark it easily then.  It is tough to do later on when that bark seizes up.
+1.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 08:34:16 am »
I'm starting a detailed build along with a hickory stave that is geared towards beginners on my youtube channel. I've got one video up already with more to follow soon. just look up swiftwoodbows on youtube and you'll find it.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 09:22:48 am »
I agree with Mr Rhodes on storage Im a big fan of hickory, I have about 9 staves hanging on the wall seasoned about 3 yrs I need to get back to ,one of the things I like about hickory it makes a consistent   fast bow if made right  you might want to check the archives and look up a few hickory bows that fella Bowed did above I use vinyl sealer & pre cat lacquer for finish on all my bows these days , its bullet proof finish all though Im going to try convertion varnish down the line ,here is a few pics you asked for dont have many !
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 09:26:14 am by Stick Bender »
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 09:23:20 am »
BBH

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 09:41:17 am »
Hickory is possibly my favorite bow wood, but I don't have a chance to get a lot of it, mostly yew for me. I also live in the high desert where it rarely gets above 30% humidity. I think the most important thing is storing your hickory bow where it is dry if you can, along with a good "water proof" finish.
Eric

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 12:35:58 pm »
Hickory is one of my favorite bow woods. Treat it like H Rhodes suggests and you'll like it too.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JesseBeaux

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 06:14:34 pm »
I'm starting a detailed build along with a hickory stave that is geared towards beginners on my youtube channel. I've got one video up already with more to follow soon. just look up swiftwoodbows on youtube and you'll find it.

I'll check that out! Thanks

Offline JesseBeaux

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 06:14:55 pm »
Thanks everyone!

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 06:35:26 pm »
I plan to use a Hickory Bow to hunt this year.  Just keep it dry, inside the house, or maybe a heat box. Keep the moisture out of the wood while building it. Heat treat the belly.  There are several good Hickory woods, but I think "Pignut" is the best.
  I have a post with pictures on page 18 I think,,,, Hickory Stick.
  Good luck, ask questions on here if you have any, you will get really great help.
   Steve

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 06:40:12 pm »
S.C. is right about the humidity. My hickory bows shoot much faster in the winter when I store them near the wood stove.

My favorite is a hld/lever hybrid...
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 01:09:11 am »
I think hickory is often over looked as a core material for backed bows like sinew or bamboo especialy when heat treated but I have found it makes a good economical solid fast material for it , I have used shag bark & pig nut ,I havent noticed much difference but prefer the looks of pignut, I still have my first hickory board bow that is the worse tiller then just about any bow posted here, I made 30 yrs ago with out much knowledge it will still string & shoot , but would rattle your teeth...lol  I store all my shooting bows at 50 % RH or little below in the winter , and never had a issue with hickory , plus its easier to work then some white woods !

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 07:17:17 am »
Texas huh I'm over by Beaumont I've used hickory and my biggest lesson I learned is it loves moisture. Getting it to dry seems like it took forever...not as long as crepe myrtle but still.