Author Topic: Local bobwhite quail  (Read 3687 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Local bobwhite quail
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 09:49:13 am »
Oh and I guess Robins cousin has me beat in the crazy department.lol I don't like snakes that much.lol

I didn't get married til I was 36 and it was probably a good thing. When I did I was ready and I think I found the right one
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 02:25:54 pm »
I quess every situation is different.Some of the best reproducing farmland in Iowa on a national scale has the highest numbers of pheasants but no quail.The area I live now is a lot more diverse in it's make up but with less pheasants but more quail.Even a pocket of long time established praire chickens to the west of me.It's a hard balance to get balancing productive farmland and wildlife together.
The number of passionate driven long term craftsmen of their different types of crafts through my travels I've gotten to know during my life makes me feel good and can relate to myself and appreciate their knowledge.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2018, 04:37:56 am »
Nice pictures,she is doing a nice job on picture taking, we don't see many any more since the Turkey . The TWRA says that has nothing to do with it ???  but I kill Turkey every year with feathers and egg shells in their craw along with fur and bugs, they will eat anything. :o
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 06:03:00 pm »
Funny, around me I don't have any turkeys. There are darned few quail but we at least have one covey around.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 07:23:03 pm »
Jeff.....The disappearance of certain wildlife can happen to areas and does.Habitat management is the determining factor.Ebbs and flows are normal but disappearance completely over a long period is not good IMO.That's why it's so important for those with the means and power to pay attention to it's status.It's a responsibility of treasures for others to enjoy it.

Right you are Ed.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Morgan

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 10:46:39 am »
Nice pics! The quail are all gone here too. When I was growing up they were thick. Now, I cannot remember the last time I heard one call much less flushed a covey.

Offline Mounter

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 11:13:38 pm »
We’re seeing a significant upswing in the quail population here last couple years...pheasant s are still very thin in most areas..

Offline ohma2

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2018, 09:22:50 am »
Used to be able to find 3_4 covies just about anytime around me ,then 25 or so years ago the farmers around here fired up the dozers and took out all the fence rows,all the hedge rows and every piece of cover wildlife had.now they are dealing with all the erosion they caused and begging for government aid.so sad!!

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2018, 10:47:17 am »
Used to be able to find 3_4 covies just about anytime around me ,then 25 or so years ago the farmers around here fired up the dozers and took out all the fence rows,all the hedge rows and every piece of cover wildlife had.now they are dealing with all the erosion they caused and begging for government aid.so sad!!

Ironic as I believe it was the government that promoted the whole "fence row to fence row" planting...  ???

Quail are fragile little things, lack of cover/habitat, too hot, too wet, too cold, too many ground predators, too many hawks... it's all bad for them. Tis a wonder there are any left at all these days.
I stopped hunting them when my pointer died so I'm no threat. (Not that I was when I did hunt them..  ::) )

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2018, 01:18:35 pm »
Cover for erosion reasons is and has been being adopted by many farmers the last 40 years and I think across the country in my lifetime.It is at least in Iowa.Education is the key here.It's no doubt mistakes have been made in farming practices in the past.There are bad apples in every barrel.Just go back to the dust bowl days as an example.Finding a good balance for wild life enviornmentally and the land with good productivity.It takes time.I'm sure everyone would complain very much if food prices soared in the grocery stores in the US.
It's funny how outspoken criticism is made by those who are'nt active farmers and really don't know or understand the whole story.Living on a farm till high school then on to another career besides farming does'nt count as far as insight either.Being the sole managing operator over decades does.We are all on the same side in the end here.
I got fortunate and seen the covey the pair I first pictured had raised.Three quarters grown and 10 or 12 were in the bunch.Nice to see the pair were successful this spring.Around here we never shoot these little gems.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 02:24:36 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2018, 06:07:17 pm »
Ed I have to agree with you. The farming practices in our area have greatly reduced wind and water erosion in the past 30 years and more so every year. Our moldboard plow sat parked by the woods till the trees grew up through it. We cut it apart to save the metal. Only farmers that use them around here anymore are the organic ones. I certainly didn't mean to get this thread sidetracked. Robin took some beautiful pictures and I enjoyed looking at them. I'm still curious about our pheasants. I do miss them and Robins pictures reminded me of them. We do have way more wildlife here now than at any time in my life. Except for the pheasants.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise