Author Topic: Backpack Bow Challenge!  (Read 76451 times)

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Re: Backpack bow challenge!
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 11:53:06 pm »
I have found that carrying a bow and a spear while hiking pretty much leaves the woods to me  >:D a little black war paint helps too..Hawk  ;D
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 11:55:41 pm »
I was looking at a takedown that length but i guess it would be a little slow to put together. I think i may be able to come up with something,after all i solve problems for a living.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 12:04:53 am »
Hickory, what do you do that takes so much thinking?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline PatM

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 12:36:24 am »
The little Japanese bows are Baleen.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 01:37:14 am »
I measured my spine to head and came up w/about 36".  I like the idea of a 1 pc 40" bow quick and easy to string.  No takedown to put together.  Drawing about 20-22 inches, 40-45#,  Osage D bow, sinew backed w/ skins to waterproof.  Possibly Black Locust in the same dimensions (Just happen to have a good dry piece).  Do you think this is possible?
Traverse City, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 02:07:44 am »
I think it is quite funny that you are suggesting it would take to long to stick two pieces of a takedown together, 2 seconds.  You are putting it is a PVC tube with a lid on it that is attached to your backpack. How long does it take to take your backpack off, get the cap off string the bow, pull out and arrow and nock it.  ::)

I already have a bow that will fill the need.  It is a 69" NTN Ipe bow with a little rubber cap to protect the tip.  You use it as a walking stick then string it when you want to use it.  8) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 02:17:47 am »
Nah, Justin! Your missing the point. Idea is reach over your shoulder. Pop the lid or reach in the pack. Pull it out and string it pull an arrow and shoot. Then put it away where it can not be seen.

PVC tube is not what your thinking check out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D4IDg9japI

The idea is a small bow that can be hidden from sight when out hiking. Its also a survival bow if its needed. 69" could not be hidden quickly and is a full length hunting bow. Idea is short and something you can hide away from prying eyes!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 02:40:10 am »
Nah, Justin! Your missing the point. Idea is reach over your shoulder. Pop the lid or reach in the pack. Pull it out and string it pull an arrow and shoot. Then put it away where it can not be seen.

PVC tube is not what your thinking check out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D4IDg9japI

The idea is a small bow that can be hidden from sight when out hiking. Its also a survival bow if its needed. 69" could not be hidden quickly and is a full length hunting bow. Idea is short and something you can hide away from prying eyes!

David T
That is exactly what I was thinking for the PVC except that piece of tube is less than 24" long.  You put a 36" piece that sticks up above your head and you will not be drawing your bow from the top.  You cant reach 30" above your head.  Put a piece on your backpack and try drawing a 30" arrow from it and decide what is the max length of tube you can use. 

As for hiding from prying eyes, WHY do I need to hide my walking stick?  All the tree huggers have a walking stick.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 07:07:32 am »
I just finished a take down ,its 64 n-n so only about 34 when pulled a part,why wouldn't that work.
It comes down quick ,with one pull and goes back easy. :) I leave the string on when it is taken
down.
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 08:07:15 am »
D.Tiller I build prototypes and solve manufacturing problems for companies. Pappy has about what i was thinking of. It will work well in many situations from stump shootin to takin deer and allow you to pull full draw length.  I can't hit crap without my anchor point.

Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 08:56:26 am »
Here is what mine looks like. It works great.I am going to post some pictures of the finshed bow in a few day when I get around to getting some good pictures,and will show how it works for those that haven't seen one.It was my first but turned out pretty cool. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 01:22:24 pm »
I think a 3-piece takedown might be even more compact.  Use a piece of conduit as your riser and just stick the limbs in either end.  I made a bow like this once, never really finished it but I still have the limbs.  I used a heavier metal pipe and it was too big, I had it shaped as an oval but it still felt clunky and that was without a wrap so I left it at that.  Might have to dig those limbs back out.

Those homemade sleeves Pappy?  I haven't seen one with brass on both ends.  That'd let you adjust the length of the center section.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 03:42:10 pm »
How about this.  A 48" take down with a hinge, kept strung with zero brace and/or string keepr.   Or with a working handle and two hinges 72" or so.  48" take down arrows with a hinge.
Steve in LV, NV

jeduffey

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 04:13:39 pm »
I already have one.

It is a 1950s or 1960s Ben Pearson fiberglass steel sleeved take down. It was originally light blue in color. In high school I painted it black. I have 6 black arrows to go with it. I was once denied entrance to a renaissance faire with my archery gear, a bit of a pet peeve for me. So I decided that a "map case" would be an ignorable carry in item. I used a pair of tubes, some cloth and foam and made a case that holds it all together and works as a quiver too. Since then I've used it this way exactly zero times. Funny to me too.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2008, 04:29:26 pm »
Come on guys! This is to get away from takedowns and make a light concealable bow. Take downs are nice but your still packing extra weight when you consider the handle and the extra length. Plus, If you loose half of the bow by having it fall out of your pack your bow wont work.

If I'm up in the mountains here in the NW on a three to five day hike I want light weight and easy to put away bow. Maybe even one I can leave strung in its case.  Sinew is nice too but here in the northwest it rains a lot! Especially in the mountains. I think we need to think of bows that can be taken into any environment and not have to worry about the materials they are mad of.

Justin, you can always place the tubes openning at shoulder height. You can also have two tubes, one for the arrows on the right side of your pack and another on the left side for the bow. Or have on big wide tube on your right that contains the bow and another smaller one for the arrows you put inside the larger one and connect it to the larger tube so the opennings are at the same height!

David T