Author Topic: Unbacked black cherry.  (Read 5142 times)

Offline Morgan

Re: Unbacked black cherry.
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2018, 08:11:23 pm »
Regarding your first bow. If you have enough length for your draw length then you can pike the bow an inch off each limb and flip the tips. Depending on the bow, I would think you should be able to salvage whatever weight was lost on that back.
 That said, what you tried to do with the linen and poly resin would probably work if you used a good  ( smooth on or gflex type not 2 ton style) epoxy resin. I would not paint a layer over the back and build up epoxy as you did with the poly. I believe for good adhesion you’lol need a rough surface on the back like 50 or 60 grit sanded. Personally, I would pike it, toast the heck out of the belly, flip the tips  and see what you can get away with, but I like selfbows. If it don’t HAVE to have backing I don’t want it to.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2018, 09:33:13 pm »
Morgan, I feel kind of foolish, with all of the options I've considered for getting that weight back piking it never crossed my mind until you suggested it. Just ordered a shorter string for it, I'm going to take an inch off each tip and leave it un backed.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2019, 05:53:53 pm »
So I think I'm going to follow Morgans advice and pike the bow that the backing popped off it's currently 67" ntn and drawing 32#@28" How much length should I take off of it? I want to maintain the 28" dl, just increase the weight. If I could get it over 40# that would be great, but I really just need to get it over 35# as that's Pennsylvania's min. dw for hunting deer. Again this bow is for my father who has shoulder problems, so light is good, but it needs to be light and legal.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline Morgan

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2019, 01:05:10 am »
How much non bending handle length do you have? Have you heat treated the belly? If all you are looking for is 3 pounds then toasting the belly may do it with no piking. That can throw off tiller though. If it were mine and I was piking it for a specific but small weight gain, I would start by cutting string nocks half an inch down from what you have now. Exercise the limbs and check the weight. If you have 8” of non bending handle + fades, I wouldn’t go less than 64”. You’ve gotta have a pretty minimal rigid handle or a Bend through to get a 28” draw with less than 64” length safely.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2019, 08:10:09 am »
Good advice on second set of nocks.your dad could warm up that shoulder with the lighter weight and then change to other nock .

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2019, 08:36:03 am »
It bends through the handle, I was thinking either 66" ntn or 65"