Author Topic: heart rot?  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Jayman

heart rot?
« on: September 25, 2018, 08:28:26 pm »
Hey I am pretty new to wood working and need some help. I cut a bitter cherry tree to make a couple bow staves and upon splitting them I noticed the very center to be much darker and was afraid it was heart rot. I know that cherry is known to have heart rot. Here is a couple of pics any help is appreciated!

Offline penderbender

• island life...
Re: heart rot?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 09:27:51 pm »
It's just the heart wood. Not rot. Bitter cherry is a better firewood than a bow wood. Just my opinion. Cheers- Brendan

Offline Jayman

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 09:31:55 pm »
Thank you. I am glad to hear its not. I am new to bow making and hope I can at least get some practice. plan to back the bow  and keep it long

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 09:37:44 pm »
The spongy very center is the pith. Some woods have it, some not. Before you season the wood take the belly below the pith or it could check(drying crack) into the stave. Drying checks occur when portions of the wood dry quicker than others. Wood shrinks as it dries which forces the wood's grain to pull apart into a check. Checks (generally) always follow the grain.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jayman

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 09:46:26 pm »
Thank you very much for the advice. I will take it down past the pith ASAP. I sealed the ends but should I take the bark off? I am going to season it out in my garage out of the weather.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 09:55:42 pm »
If you take the bark off you should seal the back or it will check.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 10:20:04 am »
I tried a Bitter Cherry once. A 1/2 x 1/2" piece snapped like a match. Should be named Brittle Cherry. So much for tension so I thought it might be decent compression wood. I backed another half by half with Hard maple and got a lot of set just bending it a bit in the vise. It may have been the particular tree but I have heard bad things from other people. Try Vine Maple or Ocean Spray. If you continue with the Cherry be sure to report back. It's a common very straight wood around here and if you succeed I may try again. I've got a nice one in my backyard :)

Offline Jayman

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 09:21:47 am »
I will report back if I succeeded with this bitter cherry. I am new to bow making and only have one successful bow and a couple broken ones. I do have some ocean spray cut down to bow dimensions and sealed that are seasoning now. The failed bows were vine maple due to my inexperience and lack of proper tools. Once I get a microplane I will try vine maple again. I plan on sinew backing the cherry and keeping the bow long so there is alot of limb. Thank you for the advice!

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 12:41:10 pm »
Good luck Jay good wood... Bad wood it'll help hone your skills