Author Topic: Bow woods in Palm Bay/Melbourne/Grant Valkeria Florida  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Youngknapper1322

Bow woods in Palm Bay/Melbourne/Grant Valkeria Florida
« on: October 03, 2018, 08:35:19 pm »
I need help finding any type of bow woods int Florida In Palm bay/Melbourne/Grant Valkeria Florida.
I am Not Good at Knowing different types of Bow wood in Florida. Can some one help me please. I have always Wanted to make a Bow from a stave successfully, but I don't know of any good bow woods in my Area.
If I half to I will order one from online. But that cost money that I kinda don't have.

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Bow woods in Palm Bay/Melbourne/Grant Valkeria Florida
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 06:09:47 am »
  Should be some Oak in your area...Live Oak makes a heavy hitter...
                                                                                                       Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 08:08:54 am »
I believe you would have hickory too. Maybe even sour orange. Get an ID book for Florida trees or look on line for Florida trees and learn to ID them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 11:09:45 am »
Hi youngknapper,

I live in SW Fl.  There are many woods that will make a bow in FL but the trick is, of course, finding it.
When I started, I fiddled with all kinds of stuff and had successes and failures.  It was good for learning.  My best advice would be to find a way to save some money and get a good Osage stave from a reputable source then honestly take your time and produce your best effort possible. 

Possible FL bow woods?  Cypress, Sea Grape, Mulberry.  Pop Ash makes a very good bow, hard to locate.  N FL will have possible oak, hickory, and other options.  Buttonwood, fruit woods, bamboo.  I believe black mangrove can be used.  There really are lots of possibilities. Be aware of harvesting from protected areas.

If you are at ground level and just want to jump in you could fiddle with all kinds of stuff to gain experience but having a good seasoned worth while stave to invest your TIME into is worth a certain price.

PM me if I can be of further assistance.

Good luck!
1’—>1’