Author Topic: Progress report on incense cedar flat bow  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Taxus brevifolia

Progress report on incense cedar flat bow
« on: October 09, 2018, 08:55:04 pm »
Finally got it to low brace, and it's pretty obvious where it needs work. Next time I think I'll do this sooner.

I put it off a little because I didn't know how to make a bow string, but I got some waxed brownell 50 string (all I could find locally) and made a jig, so know I know a little about that
First string looks good, Flemish twist is pretty easy
Also, I finally learned how to sharpen and use a cabinet scraper, all 8 edges woohoo
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 11:02:22 am by Taxus brevifolia »

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Progress report on incense cedar flat bow
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 10:21:12 pm »
All 8 sides? >:D (lol).  Strings is easy unless you are left handed, trying to learn how to Flemish twist from a right handed teacher!(and forget to loop the main peg when wrapping). Oh well, I have a string for a very short bow!  Bow looks like it is progressing!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline ohma2

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 07:49:47 am »
Looking good so far

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 09:38:14 pm »
You backed it right? Incense cedar is every bit as good as juniper in compression but like juniper not good in tension. Back it if you want it to be fast and last.

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 11:01:10 am »
Yes absutely I'll back it with elk leg sinew. I have the tendons, I still need to process them.

Once I get the tiller looking good at full brace I'll flip the tips, string backwards and sinew the back

Yes a rectangular scraper has 8 edges! Next bow I'll use it a lot. I got this far with just 80 grit sandpaper, once I got done with the draw knife. May as well finish up with sandpaper. But next time imma rock that scraper

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 11:06:24 am »
Oh P.S.
You can't tell from the picture but string alignment is absolutely perfect down the center