Author Topic: Curley Mulberry (probably) bow PICS ADDED  (Read 3775 times)

Offline Santanasaur

Re: Curley Mulberry (probably) bow PICS ADDED
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2019, 10:52:56 am »
Wow that’s some special wood and a spectacular looking back. This year I planted over 100 mulberry seedlings so I’m really hoping that’s what you have there. Osage keeps dying on me but i’ll try again next year.

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2019, 10:55:40 am »
Mulberry is just like osage, just build it wider and thicker, I have read 25% and that seems to hold true with this bow. However  with the curly grain in this, that makes it difficult to compare to regular wood of any type.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

gutpile

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2019, 11:57:37 am »
an overbuilt osage bow which is what this wood is... isn't going to perform at its optimal ... osage can be 1 1-4 wide, while mulberry would perform better at 1 3-4 to 2.. to avoid set if tilled properly... mulberry will have a more peachy color no red streaks either.. yes its a heartwood like osage but I NEVER have seen a mulberry this yellow and I have worked a few mulberry even from different trees and NONE look like this... guarantee it is OSAGE... gut

Offline sleek

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2019, 12:10:14 pm »
an overbuilt osage bow which is what this wood is... isn't going to perform at its optimal ... osage can be 1 1-4 wide, while mulberry would perform better at 1 3-4 to 2.. to avoid set if tilled properly... mulberry will have a more peachy color no red streaks either.. yes its a heartwood like osage but I NEVER have seen a mulberry this yellow and I have worked a few mulberry even from different trees and NONE look like this... guarantee it is OSAGE... gut

I initially thought it was osage too, not gonna say it isn't. Just saying it doesnt act like it at all, due to the grain possibly.

Offline sleek

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2019, 12:16:03 pm »
Well, it has a possibility of a fatal flaw. I shot it a solid 100 times, and at least 20 times today after discovery of the crack. I never heard it, or felt it happen. It's not a splinter, and its 6 inches above the fade on the upper limb. If anything it's a bit stiff there. Its isn't spreading, and it isn't broke... yet. The edge is nicely radiused and has been before ever braced. I dont know what caused this, there is no knots or anything there.