Author Topic: Bamboo Asiatic horse bow  (Read 8318 times)

Offline Parnell

Re: Bamboo Asiatic horse bow
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 11:04:39 am »
Well that’s something different.  Cool post, cool bow.
1’—>1’

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2018, 02:37:21 pm »
What a beautifully made bow! That really is unbelievably cool, like the others have said, the woodwork is outstanding!

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2018, 02:49:25 pm »
Beautiful well crafted bow!

Offline Halfbow

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2018, 03:18:01 pm »
Wow thanks guys! I'm pretty much the only bowyer I know, so it didn't really occur to me how gratifying it would be to show people who actually know the craft. Feels good.

What Asiatic Style bow is it?

It's the result of a wide variety of inspiration mixed with some of my own ideas, so it's pretty different from any actual Asiatic bow. If I had to choose one, the overall profile probably most resembles some manchu bows.

We've discussed the tiny one I'm building, and I'm going to be too ashamed to post a picture after this!

I love those inlays instead of wrapping the siyahs. When I copy you (badly) can we just chalk it up to imitation being the sincerest form of flattery?  ;)

Haha I will be flattered. By all means use what you want. Though I recommend making sure your bow works with some tight temporary wraps before bothering with inlays.

Got to admire that patience, accuracy and the love for details. theese wood-joints are just fantastic. thanx for showing!!! cheers

Thank you! Your interest in it is what inspired me to get off my butt and take pics and post.

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2018, 07:26:32 am »
Nice work

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2018, 01:24:28 pm »
That is pretty awesome work, looks like a jigsaw puzzle with so many pieces ;D Great craftmanship! Did you heat treat the belly lam?
 Only thing I don’t get is why you would back bamboo with silk. Bamboo is the best backing I know and will not fail even on a short bow like this.

Offline Halfbow

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2018, 08:46:42 pm »
Leonwood, no belly lam really. The working limbs are just one piece of bamboo and silk. I did heat treat the belly. Because the inside of the culm is the back of the bow, I trusted it less. Especially since I tillered from the back. I also figured a backing might help the limbs stay on the handle, since they're not v-spiced or anything.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2018, 04:40:18 am »
Nice work halfbow. Expecting to see more from you in the future.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PNewton

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2018, 06:14:02 pm »
Great looking bow. I'm really interested in that style. Awesome work.

Offline DaveMac

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2018, 12:32:54 pm »
Very good looking bow.

Can I ask, on the photographs there seems to be raised nodes on the back and the belly. Have you shaped the culm to match the belly?

I like the way that you have joined the limbs to the riser section, there is an explosive bow blogger who uses a similar technique, although a more pronounced wedge.

Image not my bow.

I have thought about using a joint similar to a bow tie inlay on a ipe/bamboo experiment. Something similar to this.

If you make another one like this I would really love to see a build along.

Offline Halfbow

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2018, 01:39:14 pm »
DaveMac, yes! You have found one of my inspirations. I saw that pic a long time ago and have been unable to find it again.  But I guess it stuck in my head.

A bow tie inlay sounds good. I'm sure it will be more than strong enough for any reasonable use.

The bumps on the back are the result of me trying to follow the fibers in the bamboo. As you can see from this scrap piece, they bump out on the inside too.

No growth rings to follow, so I looked at the sides of the limb like this and followed that best I could. You can also tell by looking at the texture of the bamboo on the back. In areas where the fibers are cut there will be a bunch of dots, and in areas where the surface is more parallel to the fibers, the dots will elongate in to lines. Tillering from the back became an exercise in getting the tiller right while still following the fibers reasonably well. I learned from experience that bad things happen if I just flatten it.

Offline DaveMac

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2018, 01:55:30 pm »
Thanks your reply. I see what you mean (nice photo to illustrate).

I guess Dave Mead is another one of your inspirations...  Did you try it with the bamboo with the rind as the back?

I'm assuming that flattening the culm would be OK if it was the belly.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2018, 03:04:11 pm »
Ah as I understand now you used one piece of bamboo and the outside of the bamboo pole is the belly of your bow! Then tillering from the back... now the silk makes sence to me ;D

Offline Halfbow

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2018, 03:18:20 pm »
I guess Dave Mead is another one of your inspirations...  Did you try it with the bamboo with the rind as the back?

I'm assuming that flattening the culm would be OK if it was the belly.

He has been an influence for sure. I have tried the bamboo both ways. All the bows have been quite different in dimensions, profile, and draw weight, so I don't have any good science on the matter. Too many variables. But just from my impressions, I don't see any great performance benefits from doing it the way I did it here, with the outside of the pole as the belly of the bow. Bamboo works well both ways. At least with the moso bamboo I use. The Bhutanese do it that way, but perhaps their bamboo is different. The only difference I notice is the extra trouble while making the thing.

And yes, flattening the inside of the pole is fine when it's the belly.

Offline DC

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2018, 03:38:15 pm »
That's a beautiful bow and amazing joinery, well done. The handle design and limb attachment scares me a bit though. Have you done many the same? It would sure free me up to make skinnier handles if they've lasted for you :) :)