Author Topic: birthday present  (Read 7309 times)

Offline paulc

Re: birthday present
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2018, 08:38:47 am »
Still working on reducing this stave.  Have begun wondering if maybe I should address the back now and ensure it is sound. Not sure how to do that, dont really want to back bow if I dont have to. Should I try to chase a ring? Attached is pic of divets that are scattered along back.

Thanks, Paul

Offline paulc

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2018, 08:39:35 am »
The whole back.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2018, 07:08:37 am »
Yep, that back needs attention, and you will have to chase a ring.  Now is the best time; otherwise you won't know where to stop removing wood from the other side.  Go slow and make sure you have good lighting.

Offline paulc

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2018, 05:34:50 pm »
Thoughts please...I've read twice now in other sources that say I dont need to chase a ring and I dont need to back hickory...when guys buy hickory backing from a vendor do they chase a ring? Couple of pics to follow including the 2 or 3 spots where my scrapper hasn't gone deep enough to clear out the shellac-i figure I really shouldn't be digging that stuff out unless I'm committing to backing?

Thanks for whatever you can offer.  Paul

Offline paulc

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2018, 05:35:43 pm »
Pic 2

Offline paulc

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2018, 05:37:14 pm »
Pic 3

Offline paulc

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2018, 05:39:15 pm »
Pic 4. You can see clearly where I screwed the pooch trying to work the handle area w draw knife....literally 3td bite w knife and it jumps to lower side of handle and pulled a giant splinter.....

Paul

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2018, 10:35:59 pm »
Opps!  Don't you hate it when that happens?  Luckily, I had plenty of wood left and shifted to the rasps and scraper, just took a lot longer to finish.  Good luck recovering that handle!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2018, 12:42:58 pm »
You get that hickory from LE Enterprises? 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline paulc

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2018, 02:10:18 pm »
Sounds familiar....Ebay purchase.  I guess you know something of them? P

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2018, 02:12:53 pm »
Yeah, I bought six staves from him last fall.  They are all really straight, no knots, and pretty fine pieces of wood. However, they were sopping wet and had been cut less than two weeks when he shipped them.  There was no way I could use them for the bowmaking class I had scheduled, so I had to scramble up some cured osage from good people here in P.A. (dang, what a great bunch of people)

It does appear he was a little rough with the draw knife taking off the bark and cambium, so all six staves have violated backs.  I guess since he is NOT a bowyer and generally deals with osage, he does not know this could be a problem with white woods. I guess I will just have to back these with rawhide, sinew, or maybe even bamboo? I just don't feel like chasing rings on whitewoods and I am too paranoid to go with violated growthrings.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline paulc

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2018, 03:59:57 pm »
I bought 4 last fall, been sitting since. Beside this hickory I have 2 hackberry, one w bark on, and 1 mulberry. I honestly haven't looked too close at the other staves recently. I will report out when I do.

I sorta tried to chase a ring on the hickory but yeah....TOUGH.

If this things blows I will certainly let you know.

Paul

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2018, 10:11:59 pm »
I just left the back alone on my hickory, but it was well seasoned and ready to go, and I didn't know any better!  Got 250 arrows down range and seems to be holding up. Got to take some pics and post, or it is a figment of my imagination! :BB >:D!  Maybe before MOJAM!??
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline paulc

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2018, 08:11:14 am »
My other staves....the mulberry is way more crooked now then it was when it arrive a year ago...not sure what the solution is for those of us that can't make it to get togethers to trade/buy in person and don't have access to collect our own.  I don't think I paid more than $40 including shipping for any of these so seems like not too bad an option if you are up for a challenge.   

And while not violated bad (the hack isn't but actually the mulberry looks pretty bad), both will either need to be chased or backed.  But that is a challenge for the new year!

Peace

Offline paulc

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2018, 08:11:56 am »
the mulberry....does mulberry steam well?  To straighten the dog leg...