Author Topic: What to do with 7 bags of deer legs?  (Read 2822 times)

Offline jeffp51

What to do with 7 bags of deer legs?
« on: November 17, 2018, 08:32:19 pm »
My neighbor went to Wyoming to hunt. I mentioned he should save the legs for me for sinew. Be careful what you wish for. . . I guess his whole party got a couple each, because today he gave me 7 garbage bags full- whitetail and antelope legs. No room in the freezer, even if the wife would allow it.  I spent the day skinning and stripping.  Got through a bag and a half.  Any use for the bones or hoofs?

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: What to do with 7 bags of deer legs?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 10:15:29 pm »
Boil the hooves down for glue? -C-  outside, of course!  I have seen them used for rifle racks, the pronghorn (antelope) might make bow hangers. That's a big bunch of critters!  Keep harvesting sinew for bow backing, trade and gifts! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 05:36:04 am »
Bone awls? Or maybe pigment containers?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 06:35:57 am »
First thing I ask myself is what do I want to do with things.In the past I used to go to many buckskinning rendezvous.With bow making sinew of course is an option for bows and sewing/wrapping.I saw many other ideas out there for different animal parts too.I've made a few deer leg bags from legs.Made rattle wind chimes out of the dew claws and deer toes before.That's not including things to do with the bones.I've used them for knife handles before.It's up to you and your ideas of use really.
Some pics of their usefullness.
Muzzle loader shooting pouch.

A different type pouch.

One on far left is deer leg bone handle

Some deer toes and dew claws and a couple of wind chimes I made long ago.

I find that the pronghorn horn is a lot like the toes of deer too.Knife handles can be made of them too along with other things.It's up to your imagination to make anything useful from these things.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 10:03:51 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 06:59:46 am »
I picked up a bunch of legs at a deer processor on time, like you I got way more than I needed. I stripped out the sinew and threw the rest away. I have only made 2 sinew backed bows in 20 years so I ended up giving or trading away almost all the sinew I collected. I still strip the sinew off the deer I kill, I send it to anyone who posts that they need some.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 07:18:32 am »
I use a lot of white tail leg bones for knife handles. I skin them. Save the sinew and then boil them and clean them up good. I usually cut them in half lengthwise and get two handles. This also helps to get the marrow out. Then when I use them I shape them to fit stone or glass blade right and fit my hand nice. I usually paint my Bjrogg markings on them and then give them a few coats of tru oil. I like the look and feel of them. If you boil them all up and clean em up good put em in a five gallon bucket. You might be surprised how many you use. If you don't get the marrow out they will get a oily look on the but you can remove it later and clean them up again.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 08:45:16 am »
Well Jeff -

We make gambling bones, bone awls and needles. If you dip the toes in boiling water (while they are attached to the leg) for a couple of minutes you can pop the black part of the toes off. We use those for the womens dance skirts. Freeze some pack em in a Styrofoam and send em on. PM me for a home address...

Ben

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 09:08:54 am »
Bone pile is looking for some to use as knife handles. He posted in the Knapping Thread.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 12:52:28 pm »
ben,

It doesn't seem to be working.  I have boiled them for quite a while and the nails (toenails?) don't seem to want to pop off.  How do you do that?

Offline Stoker

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 03:45:04 pm »
If I get a bunch of bones I can't use. I smoke them for the dog. Pearl then gives them to her doggy friends.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 08:23:27 pm »
My dogs have all loved just to have one to chew on. Usually after they are done you have a nice knife handle left over.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 09:00:59 am »
Jeff - In the past I just dipped the toes in boiling water for a few minutes and then grabbed them with a pair of pliers and gave a little twist and they popped off. A guy named Richie Bellows used the toe bones to make little obs neck knives with a whistle... if I can figure out how to share the pics from my phone I will take some...