Author Topic: Some new broadheads  (Read 4589 times)

Offline Kegan

Some new broadheads
« on: April 03, 2008, 08:29:55 pm »
Having gotten the idea that arrows are pretty important to hitting stuff, I've been playing with design and what not. So, here are my new broadheads. 2 1/2" long, 1 1/8" wide, 1" long "barbs". Made from an old circular saw blade. They just need sanding and linseeding. They have a right helical single bevel on them, and a diamond point. They weigh roughly 150 grains. The hole is for a hand nail rivet, and puts the shaft only about 1/2" from the tip- giving it a short head's power and a long head's cutting angle. Have enough for 9 more. The one on the left was shot several times (until the arrow broke) and flew well- very well. I also did a build along for young archers on Archerytalk on making on of these. What do you guys think?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Cromm

Re: Some new broadheads
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 08:48:48 pm »
Hi, I like very Howard Hill style! ;D
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 08:49:07 pm »
They's real nice! Why do they need linseeding? And what does it do to the head?
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 09:07:36 pm »
They look deadly Sean, well done.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 09:47:21 pm »
Sean- linseed helps protect them from water. The blade had started to rust when I started making them.

Cromm- is it that obvious ;) ;D!

Thanks Dana :D!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 09:49:40 pm »
Kegan how a pic of them mounted to the shaft. If ya need some more skil saw blades let me know I have some to spare.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 11:22:26 pm »
Pretty cool but before you use them on game check your regulations.  In Montana it stipulates that the broadheads cannot be of the barbed type referreing to the back side of your blades.

Offline Little John

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 10:46:24 am »
Lice looking, might be hard to pull from a hay bale. How do you attach glue and pin? Might be hard to wrap shaft behind point. Pics of mounted point please.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 10:54:30 am »
Nice heads,I like that design.
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 01:52:32 pm »
Nice looking points Kegan. I would be tempted to rig the point for bowfishing, it looks like it would hold a big carp and definitely sharpened would bring down about any large game animal. Good job!
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 07:50:40 pm »
stiknstring- It doesn't say no barbs, jsut the same plane (which implies no twisting). I still have to call to make sure though.

DanaM- thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind :)!

Thanks guys ;D! I still have to get some arrow shafts made (and material obtained). When I get some, I'll get a couple pics up of one hafted- with epoxy and a hand rivet made from an eight-penny nail (sinker). So far, I haven't had any trouble getting them from the bale... they went all the way through ;) ;D.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 07:53:42 pm by Kegan »

Offline Little John

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 09:55:23 pm »
Forgot you shot man weight bows, anxious to see them mounted. Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell