Author Topic: Nock split  (Read 3205 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Nock split
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 07:01:13 am »
I would have put the overlay on differently by cutting at an angle almost to the belly and coming down the limb at least 2". This way you are assured to get rid of any stressed or cracked wood and have a very strong limb tip. The picture is of a BBO tip overlay.

The smallest number of strands of FF I use on a bow is 12, I used to pad the loops but no longer do, no problems so far.

Offline rps3

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 08:35:52 am »
I had that happen once, from then on I have always used horn or wood overlays on my bow tips.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 08:57:04 am »
+1.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 09:03:44 am »
I would have put the overlay on differently by cutting at an angle almost to the belly and coming down the limb at least 2". This way you are assured to get rid of any stressed or cracked wood and have a very strong limb tip. The picture is of a BBO tip overlay.

The smallest number of strands of FF I use on a bow is 12, I used to pad the loops but no longer do, no problems so far.
I considered bigger overlays but I had no reason to suspect anything but the boo was splintered and the curve of the hooks is so tight  that by the time I got it flat I would have done more damage. I thought this would be the simplest route.

PS- I just went back and re-read this thread and nowhere did I mention that it was just the Bamboo backing that was splintered. That may have caused some confusion. Sorry.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 09:09:07 am by DC »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 05:50:41 pm »
I bend the overlay on the same form I bent the bow on.

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 05:58:13 pm »
Good thinkin'. I just have a bunch of 2" pieces of various woods that I've picked up. Too short to bend. Maybe I'll collect longer pieces :)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2018, 08:49:56 am »
DC, I had trouble with this one splitting on me when I had temporary string groves. Like you said with yours to square of edge where grove meet back. I put on this Antler overlay. I got my string lined up exactly where I wanted it and narrowed up tip and overlay. I know it looks a bit crooked but so is the tip and it puts the string right where I want it. If you look closely you can see where tip split before I narrowed it. Been shooting this one for awhile now and it's working fine.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise