Author Topic: New to the art of making bows  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Backyardbowyer87

New to the art of making bows
« on: November 20, 2018, 05:32:14 am »
I just recently moved to the pocatello ID area and am looking to make my first bow and am wanting to source local wood but not sure where/who to go to. If there is anyone on here from the area that can help i would greatly appreciate it.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: New to the art of making bows
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 06:48:15 am »
My site may help you get started. If you can find a good log stave there's boards.

http://traditionalarchery101.com

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 06:49:26 pm »
Welcome aboard backyardbowyer! Can't help ya anymore than Jawge's site will for finding wood, other than to say I've found a lot of good staves at my local highway dept. brush/limb dumping pile. Best of luck to you.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 09:49:57 pm »
Welcome aboard. Im thinking that area is not strong in alot of local bow woods that are good bow wood. Lots of pines and evergreens, not many hardwoods. I could be wrong but maybe someone else has more input. Jawges site can put you in touch with some material that will allow you to hone your skills and then as you grow you may be able to find something that you can do something worthwhile. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God