Author Topic: Ash warr bow....  (Read 11502 times)

sagitarius boemoru

Re: Ash warr bow....
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 06:48:02 am »
Grab a heat gun and adjust the stiffness of weak spots by heat treating the belly. Works like a charm with ash.

J.

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 09:40:17 am »

I  did  a lot of experimenting with heat treating ash when I was trying to make a 130lb bow
I found that it quickly dried the wood which changed  its properties significantly but when the moisture content returned to normal (which takes weeks) it returned to how it was before

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 06:36:52 pm »
Its not about drying. Its about hardening weaker spots (or whole belly)  and that can be done. I have made 120# ash bow with aonly about 1´´ net set.
It has to become sticky and change collour to something like hazelnuts. Then the properties of wood change pernamently as the stuff inside of cells cooks.

Jaro

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 07:16:58 pm »

Interesting - I will have to have another try at this some time

At the time I was hoping it would help stop my bows chrysaling (when I was trying to get past 120lbs) but finally decided it wouldnt help with this
in the end I removed the belly and glued some oak on, this allowed me to get to 165lbs no problem (although this was way heavier than I wanted)

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 07:23:33 pm »
Once it starts to chrysalls theres nothing to stop it Alan. I had little of succes of remedy chrysals with heat treating. Deep heat treating - scorch does improve strenght of the belly wood, but the elasticity suffers. This is little of problem with ash, which is too spongy or overelastic for these bows. Also I have found that for ash to perform really well it has to be as dry as hickory.

Jaro

Offline akila

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 08:45:44 pm »
Hy guys and thks for all your replays....i wass busy today and jut now i opend my computer....today i done something real stupid.....a beginner mistake... :-\....i could not take my mind from that weack spot on that right limb....and i thaught i give it a try with the heat gun, and i did something realy realy stupid....i tried to refelx a little that weack spot and the belly of the bow crak on me.....after a fiew seconds a craks apear on the belly and it gows realy deep, so  the bow its history....i will try to make it a target bow....i removed the damaged rings on the belly, and i just have 15mm thicknes to the  limb and the midlle of the bow is still the same...35mm wide and 27 thick...so i think i can make a target bow or something....im so angry at my self....and i always give advises to my friends.." never try to refelx a limb that has taken set, becose the limb could crak"...and i just did that today..... :-\......i dont know what wass in my mind...i think i wass a little upsot becose i could not make a good tiller to this bow....one limb wass ok...only 2" set....but that right limb wass 4" set....so this is it...aniway i wanna thk. you for your help and i will start another one real soon....im happy  that i had no chrisals on this bow.....but now  the bow its history.... :-\...

eduardbilanin

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2008, 01:43:35 am »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(