Author Topic: Heat bending and limb set  (Read 6426 times)

Offline IrishJay

Re: Heat bending and limb set
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 12:20:14 pm »
Brad, the intent was more about adding poundage than looks, but you're right I was chasing a number and now I have a broken bow. The half dozen arrows I put through it it was shooting well. So I guess I learned a good lesson on when to say "good enough," because a 37lb bow would kill alot more deer than no bow.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline RandyN

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 02:49:17 pm »
I'm sorry to here about your bow blowing up. That makes for a bad day. It's happened to me, trying to get a little more out of it. The good news is you learned from it. Move onto your next one and take what you learned and make a better bow. Most of all, have fun with the journey.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2018, 02:55:31 pm »
sometimes shortening one,, you can get a bit more poundage with out heating,, I didnt mean u specificly about the looks,,, I have blown up so many bows,, I am not judging either,,,, just hoping to post something someone with less exeriece can use in a positive way,,sometimes when you shorten,, the bows takes a bit more set and offsets the poundage,, its just tricky sometimes,,,, even when everything seems great a bow can blow,, but the ones that work are so rewarding,, again I meant no criticism,, at all,,, :OK

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2018, 03:49:06 pm »
Yeah, I have 2 decent local harvested black cherry staves and I'm toying with which to start next one will make a 68" bow the other a 72".
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2018, 05:00:54 pm »
Started working a bendy handle from the shorter piece of black cherry. It'll be 68" ttt, 66.5" ntn. I'm probably just going to back it with resin and forgo the linen.

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2018, 05:07:10 pm »
I don't think resin by itself will do anything, especially polyester resin. I've never even seen Black Cherry but I've not read great things about it. Some have made bows from it, maybe they will chime in.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2018, 05:38:34 pm »
DC, my thinking with the backing is that I've had 2 linen backed bows blowout, and the linen didnt really seem to do anything. The purpose of the resin would just be extra insurance against raising a splinter on the back. Although I have a nice unviolated ring on the back so hopefully........

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2018, 06:13:27 pm »
Congratulations on your first bow. Set did not look excessive. All bows take set.

Only areas that do not bend can reverse set. On your bow looks like the last 8 inches or so. Can't tell for sure without full draw photo. Jawge
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 06:17:11 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PatM

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2018, 09:49:31 pm »
DC, my thinking with the backing is that I've had 2 linen backed bows blowout, and the linen didnt really seem to do anything. The purpose of the resin would just be extra insurance against raising a splinter on the back. Although I have a nice unviolated ring on the back so hopefully........

You're misunderstanding how a composite material works. 

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2018, 09:03:52 am »
Pat, I understand how composites work. The substrate (in my case linen) provides the tensile strength, the resin provides the hardness and the compression strength. I just think that the tensile gain from the linen (at least the cheap low thread count linen I have) is so minimal as to be negligible and that only real advantage I've seen to this type of backing is the "shell" that the adhesive creates to prevent raising a splinter. Obiviously with higher quality substrate ( better linen, silk, hide, sinew, glass cloth, etc.) the backing would bring much more tensile strength to the party, but I just dont know if the cheap linen I have is actually contributing anything.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2018, 09:28:24 am »
Soft backings don't prevent bows from breaking. They will help prevent splinters from lifting. Brown grocery bag paper is a good backing too but it won't prevent a faulty bow from breaking.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2018, 09:53:49 am »
That's more or less my point. If the purpose of this kind of backing is simply to prevent a splinter from lifting, then the resin will achieve that on it's own without the linen. If I were working with a different adhesive, like say wood glue the linen (or paper) would be necessary to give the glue something to bond to.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2018, 10:44:04 am »
The resin by itself I don't think will work. It's like concrete without steel, both together are strong but individually have weaknesses. I can imagine the resin cracking with continuous bending.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2018, 11:37:50 am »
Good point, I think I will use the linen just to be safe. I was thinking that the linen just adds mass to the limbs with out contributing and therefore the bow would be fast without. But, at this point I'd rather over build and get a working now than split hairs over a couple fps and end up with more fire wood.

Thanks for talking sense to me.   (-S

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2018, 12:09:38 pm »
what about two layers of linen,, I dont think it will hurt the performance,, (f) and wood glue,,