Author Topic: Heat bending and limb set  (Read 6416 times)

Offline IrishJay

Re: Heat bending and limb set
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2018, 12:16:31 pm »
Brad, because the linen I have isn't long enough to back the whole bow I'll probably end up with 2 pieces that start at the limb tips and meet in the middle, with a third piece lapped over top that spans the midsection.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2018, 12:22:08 pm »
well ok,, can you go to an art store and get a scrap piece of linen canvas,,I dont know where you live or if that might be a realistic source for you,, but linen canvas is very durable,, and would make a nice backing,,
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 12:28:22 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2018, 12:29:31 pm »
or just double what you described to have two layers

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2018, 03:11:45 pm »
So here's what I ended up doing, my linen was about 6" shorter the the bow ttt. So I ran one strip from one tip and it came within 6" of the other tip. Then i ran a strip the opposite way over top of this first strip. So now everything but the outer most 6" of each limb had 2 layers. Outer most 6" has only one layer. Then I laid the 3rd piece on centered on the bow so it reaches to within 3" of each limb tip.

So over all, our to 6" from the tips is 3 layers. 6" to 3" is 2 layers and 3" to tip is one layer.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2018, 03:25:56 pm »

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2018, 08:50:20 pm »
Resin is cured and I've got some of the edge of the backing sanded down. With 3 layers of linen the sanding is slow going, but hopefully it will result in a durable bow. Backing will get one more coat of resin after tillering is complete to give it a smooth finish.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2018, 11:28:41 pm »
I hope that backing doesn't overpower the belly and cause frets. At least with TB glue you get some give and I think 3 layers of linen is overkill.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2018, 09:59:28 am »
I'll find out when I start exercising the limbs during tiller. My guess is that if working backs like sinew or glass dont over power natural wood bellies I think I'll be ok. I got it braced from floor tiller prebacking, took about 35lbs to get it braced. So if I go slow I should have plenty of meat to get my 40lb final tilled on this one.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2018, 10:27:10 am »
My guess is that if working backs like sinew or glass dont over power natural wood bellies I think I'll be ok.

But......they do.  Good luck! I hope you get a good shooter and like the fact that you’re forging right on after that first failure.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2018, 11:06:38 am »
And second, and third failures. It's been a bumpy road but I'm learning and moving forward.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2018, 02:04:51 pm »
Why all the backing if ,as you state, you have a nice unviolated back?

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2018, 02:23:41 pm »
Everything I've read on black cherry recommends backing it.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2018, 09:21:10 pm »
I had to spend a bit more time chasing an even tiller on this one than I did on the board bow, but it's my first stave bow to get to full draw without issue. Tillers looks a little off at brace, but looks better at draw. I think I'm going to have to live with it because I dont want to take anymore weight off. Set was not excessive, the stave had a fair amount of deflex to start with. Thinking about adding tip overlays, then it's just a couple more coats of resin on the back and some finish sanding.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2018, 09:23:10 pm »

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2018, 01:49:43 pm »
I still havent done the finishing work, but I got a nice cedar arrow set for Christmas today and it seemed like a good opportunity to try out both. Put about a dozen arrows through it, no bad sounds, no signs of belly checking. It's my first time shooting a bendy handle so it was a bit different for me, but over all I'm pleased.