Author Topic: Leather handles  (Read 5341 times)

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Leather handles
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 06:12:47 pm »
Use better leather and it won’t tear. Pauly showed me a sweet method of using painters tape sticky side out, and then another layer sticky side down. Carefully cut it off and it gives a perfect template to cut the leather. Leather stretches a little more one way than the other, I like to keep the stiffer side for my stitching edge. Wet the leather, pat dry and it’ll really take on any form if you have a curvy handle.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 10:18:06 pm »
The cool thing about using good thicker rawhide[that is perfect fit using the tape fitting method] is that when sewn on wet[using tite bond 3 glue] you can wrap it with a masonary type string to create texture on your grip when it's dry.You can also alcohol dye that rawhide any color you want later too besides leaving it natural which is nice too.It'll slightly shrink around your handle and be tight as a drum.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2018, 06:16:17 am »
You could go online and order some better leather or go to some craft stores.

Here's how I do handles.

http://traditionalarchery101.com/leatherhandle.html

Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2018, 06:48:59 am »
Here is an unstitched leather handle tutorial I made years ago. You could stitch it after you glue everything down. You get a very tight fit with your leather doing it this way. I now use a popsicle stick across the belly when I am cutting the overlapping ends. It bends to conform with the handle and is short enough to be easy to align with the centerline.

http://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=108891.msg0#new

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2018, 07:08:33 am »
Cool fellas...Nice demos of putting leather handles on.Both those ways are very good from my experience.
Well there ya go Don!!!Your package should arrive sometime next week.
I like the type leather handles DVS does too.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 07:12:22 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2018, 09:39:06 am »
Thanks for all the input guys. This has been a very productive thread for me. Info and BowEd is sending me a few pieces of his brain tan to try out. Very good of you Ed. I really appreciate it. I'll have to make a special bow for it. :D

Offline bubby

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2018, 02:29:30 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,39604.msg527688.html#msg527688
Here's a build a long on handles I did some time ago. Double the edges about 1/2-3/4" and it will work fine
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2018, 07:26:07 am »
Look for women's purses and wallets at thrift stores.  Real leather ones are some of the best quality leather you can buy.  My favorite brand is "fossil".  I use the leather for making bow handles and shooting gloves.  It's very supple and strong.  The shooting gloves last for years with plenty of weekly shooting.

Great build alongs!  I'll be using these suggestions in the future also!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2018, 07:28:04 am »
Jimmi, will you post pics of your shooting glove? ...and your process too if you have it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2018, 07:34:28 am »
I wrote an article for PA several years back that was published with pictures.  I may still have it in my archives.  If so it's on a different computer and will have to look it up later.  And I'll have to figure out how to post pictures on this site since I am basically computer illiterate!

Offline DC

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2019, 12:56:16 pm »
Cool fellas...Nice demos of putting leather handles on.Both those ways are very good from my experience.
Got the package today Ed! It's really nice. I wasn't expecting brain tanned to be that soft. That's deer hide, right? Now I just have to sort out how to cut it to get the most use out of this. Beautiful stuff, a lot of work I think. Thank you very much.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2019, 01:26:52 pm »
Got the package today Ed! It's really nice. I wasn't expecting brain tanned to be that soft. That's deer hide, right? Now I just have to sort out how to cut it to get the most use out of this. Beautiful stuff, a lot of work I think. Thank you very much.
Your welcome...It sounded like you were out in the boonies there for access to leather.That took longer than I thought but at least it arrived.That brain tan is kinda thin I know but enough to cover those handle splices nicely on those nice bows you've made.It'll glue and lace or sew up very easily for ya.
BowEd
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2019, 01:53:47 pm »
Not out in the boonies, just one of those small towns where you just can't find stuff. It's quite normal for things to get hung up at the border for a few days. Thanks again :D

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 06:25:57 pm »
You'll love that leather Don. Ed was kind enough to send me some a while back. It feels great in the hand, and I love it for arrow passes. Nice a quiet.  :OK
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 07:10:07 pm »
DC...Where I'm at here it's normal for the merchants to tell me that's all we got....Ha Ha.I just go on line and get it sent and save gas going to the big city a 1.5 hour drive 1 way....Ha Ha.
BowEd
Ed