Author Topic: Osage recurve 55#@28”  (Read 4912 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: Osage recurve 55#@28”
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2018, 06:59:31 am »
Thanks for the input everyone.
I can’t remember what the length is offhand. I’ll check when I get home. But it is asymmetrical. If I remember correctly, the handle is 4”, 2” fades, lower limb is 26” from fade to nock, and upper is 27” fade to nock. So should be ~61-62” from fade to nock. I intended for it to be a 27” draw but then he said he wanted 28”. So I just eased it back and let it be what it was at 28”.
I actually broke all the teeth off of a hand saw cutting the buffalo horn for the nocks, but I do love brush nocks. They get rid of that annoyance of the limbs pinching into every little twig and weed they can. Easy to do too. cut a wedge, file in the curve to match the recurve as close as you can in the losation you want, then epoxy them on with some dust from the nock material mixed to color blend and gap fill.
I’m not sure how quick it shoots, but it does shoot very well. I’ll have him shoot it through the chrony when he comes and picks it up. Or I may chrony it before that out of curiosity.
I agree on the handle wrap. I decided to try it on a whim. It turned out how I imagined it would, but can’t say I’m a big fan myself now that I have it in hand. Though it does look better in person and is comfortable.
I could’ve done better on the marking. I’m going to run with the excuse of, my ink bottle is low and getting thick, soo couldn’t fill the nib enough to get a good ink flow. And the raccoon is free handed with ink. I decided to stop wasting time trying to pencil it out until perfect and accept the flaws and variation I’ll get from one to another.

Kyle