Author Topic: thoughts of burying osage in the dirt....???  (Read 5374 times)

Offline nsherve

Re: thoughts of burying osage in the dirt....???
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2018, 12:28:31 pm »
DC, some parts can get pretty wet and stay that way most of the year (hardwood bottoms), most pretty damp, and some can get fairly dry.

BJRogg, I have been, and will continue to, air dry most of it. Some with bark still on, some with it off. Some of it just split tearing the bark and sapwood off.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2018, 01:17:51 pm »
when I first started,, I didnt know anything about curing wood,, well I cut some at my parents house, green,, and just layed it on the driveway,, well the bugs went crazy on it,, when I finally got to making a bow,, it looked awful,, I scraped down past the bugs and made one of my first good bows,, I still have it today,, it is sinew backed now,, that was nearly 30 years ago,, my point is,,
osage is amazing,, and will withstand almost any abuse and still make a bow,, properly cured wood  is a real treasure to work with,,,
at the rate I make bows now, I have a life time supply and thats fun,, -C-
thanks to the editors and mods for this wonderful venue to share ideas,,

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2018, 08:37:50 am »
+1 on the tried and true method. It works every time. I also think that it helps them cure faster and therefore be ready to work sooner. I personally want to give myself the best opportunity to produce as quality a bow stave as the wood will allow. I'll save my experimentation for bow design etc... but every dog to his own tree. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God