Author Topic: Yumi bows?  (Read 12779 times)

Offline Mike_A

• Mike Ailstock Gatesville, TX
Yumi bows?
« on: April 05, 2008, 12:20:21 am »
Does anyone know where to find a book, movie or any other info on making yumi bows? I'm interested in eventually making one and would like to start finding the info now. Thanks for the help. Mike.
Proud member of PETA ( People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Yumi bows?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 01:42:18 am »
Try yumibows.com  Jaap Kopendreyer(sp) should have info for you.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 08:21:38 am »
I believe there was an article by Jaap in PA, sorry but I have no idear what issue.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Mike_A

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 01:56:42 pm »
Thanks Pat and Dana. I just got done reading that article in one of my back issues. I believe it was volume 3 issue 2. It was a very well written article and made me want to build one that much more. Hopefully the website you gave me will help me find all the info I need. Thanks again. Mike

Offline dantolin

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 06:48:10 pm »
Maybe it's only a obvious info, but let's see that link
http://www.kougei.or.jp/english/crafts/0707/f0707.html
Bye,
David

Offline dantolin

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 06:50:22 pm »
...try on production section in that page...

Offline Mike_A

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 08:31:04 pm »
Thanks David. That gave me a lot of info I didn't know. Much appreciated. Mike

Far East Archer

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 02:03:13 am »
What sort of information are you looking for?
Rough dimensions, building process or materials used?
I know some stuff if thats what you want to know.

Alex

Offline Mike_A

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 05:52:53 am »
Hi Alex. I'm looking to try to build a yumi in the future, so any and all info is appreciated. I'm completely fascinated by the yumi design and so far haven't been able to find hardly any info about them. I really appreciate the help. Mike

Far East Archer

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 02:39:45 pm »
Hey Mike,
I'll be back in a few with some info to get you started.....

Alex

Ok here is what info I have obtained from my research so far.

Bamboo used: madake
Side woods for core: zelkova
                            bird's-eye/tiger maple
                            buckeye
                            wax tree/sumac
                            mulberry
                            catalpa

Siyahs or nock woods: ebony
                              peach
                              cherry

Core

The core is made up from 5-7 strips of heat treated bamboo and side wood made usually from figured wood or wood with attractive color. They do not say why they use the types other than for beauty of wood appearance but they prefer the wood of the sumac or mulberry. Depending on the type of yumi, the core can be as short as 221 cm (Namisun) or as long as 245 (Hasun-nobi) and goes over the siyah/nock wood.

Dimensions for Nisun-nobi (226 cm yumi):
Forgot the draw weight but it is around 18 kg or 40# with draw length of about 95 cm (37")
The core is 7.35 mm thick at the grip and 28.5 mm wide. It tapers in thickness towards the upper nock to 5 mm and is 25 mm wide. The lower core tip is 4 mm thick and 23.5 mm wide.

Backing/Belly

The backing runs the full length of the bow and is not heat treated. At the grip the backing is 28.5 mm wide and 3 mm thick. At the upper nock it is 25 mm wide and about 2 mm thick. The belly is 23.5 mm wide at grip and 3 mm thick. It is does not seem to taper on the upper limb, but the lower is thins out to almost nothing, no width taper. The belly does not extend the full length or the bow but stops where it meets the siyah/nock wood at both tips.Please keep in mind these were taken from the side of the bamboo or edge, because of high crown the bamboo should be 1 mm thicker than what I wrote is measured from the crown. They do not trap the back nor the belly, but gently round the edges to create circular cross section.

Nock

The siyahs/nocks are not bent to shape, but cut to the appropriate curve. They are made so that they have a shoulder at the end where it is the same height of the bamboo belly. This area is wrapped in rattan and usually cannot be seen. The upper siyah is about 17 cm long, including the shoulder and same width as the back at the joint then it tapers and flares out at the pin nock shoulders where it is 25 mm wide. thickness varies as different bowyers carve differnt shapes. Most of the time it isnt much thicker than the limb itself. The bottom nock is 12.25 cm long and designed similar to the top nock.

Glue up

The yumi is traditionally glued up using hide glue from a species of deer, however most bowyers now have turned to modern glues for ease in making. I assume you already know the rope and wedge method so I wont go into that. The yumi is glued into five curves.The first is At the lower tip which is reflexed, next is lower midlimb which is deflex. Next is reflex in the handle. Next after handle is long deflex in upper midlimb and last is long reflex at upper limb tip. In its glued shape, the bow should have 45 cm or reflex. After the glue has cured, you must cut to final width and make the nocks. (the bow should be glued up a little wider than the final dimensions.)

Tillering

You don't, well not in the sense that we tiller.Tillering a yumi is done by bending in a form or heating of the limbs to conform to the right shape. Through experience, you will find the right amount of reflex and deflex to make perfect tiller. This is why it takes 15 year apprenticeship to master the yumi!

The only places rattan bindings are required in a yumi is at the joint of the siyah and belly strip on both tips and at the grip, other areas are wrapped for aesthetics reasons or for warbows where they serve as protection. Also, the brace height of a yumi is 15 cm.

Alex

« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 05:09:33 pm by Far East Archer »

Offline Mike_A

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 01:53:18 am »
Thanks a lot Alex. That was truly a wealth of info. I can kind of visualize how it all goes together now. Thanks again. Mike