Author Topic: Flying pig  (Read 8605 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Flying pig
« on: January 12, 2019, 08:48:07 am »
A fresh 6" of snow this morning.

Some of the red birds around.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 02:57:18 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Flying pig
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 09:13:08 am »
We got about 4" from the same system I think. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 01:45:30 pm »
We got about 14" a couple of days ago, and was windy enough to fly a pig, Holed up in the garage and got a couple hides softened. Bob

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 02:34:57 pm »
Yes this 6" was without a whole lot of fanfare.Think a couple more inches fell since then.Not much wind which makes it more pleasant.Rather pretty really even shoveling all morning.I've been through some real dillies in the past 70's and 80's and 90's though while farming keeping a lot of livestock alive.No time for hobbies inside then.Move snow for 2 days just to maintain normal order.Then the wind turn the other way in a couple days and blow harder and do it all over again.
It seems in a lot of places all over the country the trend is wetter.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 04:45:43 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 09:39:01 pm »
Not sure where you are at Ed but we are in Rochester, Mn for a period of time and haven't had snow for a month.  Our son lives in Michigan and he has yet to plow his drive.  Good deer winter in Michigan so far.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 10:25:14 pm »
Neat pig, btw!  We got some rain here, enough to make mud for the dogs to track in!  Not much snow north of Denver, quite a bit n the southern mountains, we need more, preferably not all at once!  But any way we can get it, works.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 05:15:44 am »
Yes not everyone is getting a lot of moisture lately.I did'nt mean that everyone did.Especially places like California too with the fires.Previously here in southern Iowa the last 2 winters we have had virtually no snow.Snow blower sales were very low.I never did start the tractor to plow snow.Late last summer the trend has changed here.It goes in trends like that.
Our deer are doing pretty good yet really but I'm sure this snow lately will put some stress on them.It hurts the birds like pheasant and quail more so really.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 05:53:34 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 06:59:40 am »
Got 4-5 inches here in NE Kansas . Huh, an eagle just flew by the window... cool.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 07:59:37 am »
We had snow earlier but it's almost all gone now. Like Jeb said. It's been a easy winter for the wildlife here so far. Crops came off late, some still out and very little snow. That could all change any day though. Nice working in the woods right now.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 10:45:28 am »
We got another round of snow last night.  Worse than the previous night.  That made for a white knuckled 2 hour drive to work this morning. 

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 10:14:25 pm »
Yeah, Clint, you're getting similar weather as us about 24 hrs later.
The Wife hopped plane to Ft Lauderdale about 12 hrs before it started snowing here at home.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 10:26:48 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 07:42:35 am »
The Wife hopped plane to Ft Lauderdale about 12 hrs before it started snowing here at home.

I'd say your wife is a little smarter than you Knoll  ;D

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 08:01:48 am »
I'd say you got your fair share there Mike.Someone has to hold the fort down...HEH!!No grilling today....Ha Ha.Your wife just got out of there.
I started tractor and moved snow here.Got my neighbor out then too.Mailman did'nt deliver saturday here.
BowEd
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 12:03:31 pm »
I spent most of a winter working in Iowa in the late 80's. One of my favorite memories was a snowy morning with a dozen cardinals and a few blue jays at a bird feeder.  They were so brightly colored it almost hurt to look at them.

One sure could have worse scenery out the window, Ed.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 01:07:10 pm »
It's my cheapest form of entertainment I guess a person could say.All those birds can drive the hawks and owls nuts.What kind of hawk would this be?I know it's not a red tail or even an immature one.I'm guessing it's a northern gos hawk?
BowEd
Ed