Author Topic: "Deep Purple" horsebow  (Read 5010 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Re: "Deep Purple" horsebow
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 10:51:05 am »
Cool bow. Good for you on following through to fulfill your vision. How's it feel? Are you getting accurate yet?
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline bassman

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 11:54:42 am »
Brogg ,Ohma2,DC,upstatenybowyer,sidewinder, on behalf of North Heart, I want to thank you all for your positive comments on his  Horse bow. We all need that at times. Good for you guys.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 08:18:49 pm »
Hey fellas!  Hope y'all are having a great weekend this journey has been too fun for me.  Not just bow building but the mounted portion.  See most everything we have been taught in traditional ground archery falls apart while mounted in the canter and trot.  No anchor for example(i fought this forever) then gave in lol.  Shooting imporved dramatically mounted. Fliudity, like a flowing river, never a waterfall(Lajos Kassai proveb). My riding need tons of improvement though:) There is literally no primitive bow representation in the modern day horseback archery world, and this saddens me.  In fact, i aim to change this, but i gotta get better first :)

I should have know yall would have such an eye for detail, yes heeled shoes and heels down, helmet all good ideas. Can you believe insurance covers galloping with arrows but no running with them on foot, so when we train running on the ground gotta keep the arrows in quiver till we come to a stop, LOL. :NN  Indeed that was not a harness to keep me on the horse but a leg quiver.  The types of quivers we are used to as ground archers will also not accommodate mounted archery, so i use a leg mounted quiver specific to this purpose, and also a Mehai Cozmei design and built "sword style quiver", look him up on youtube if you want to see a master at work, one of the fastest drawing and shooting around, i was able to train with both him and Lajos Kassai this year.  So much ahead of us and our group Montana Horse Archers.  Its been very humbling learning how much i dont know. (A)

But enough about all that, i found a couple takers to test my horsebow today as we work on our ground archery skills, they fell in love!  Maybe i start trading bows for ride time...im liking the sound of that. :OK

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 08:30:27 pm »
Cool bow. Good for you on following through to fulfill your vision. How's it feel? Are you getting accurate yet?

Thank you Sir.  This vision and the journey its taking me on has really been awesome.  I keep meeting more and more wonderful and interesting people.  I am trying to get to be a decent enough rider to compete this year or next. Coming to the mounted archery world as an archer first(most are horseman that try to learn archery) has definitely helped.  But then everything ive done for years i realize is wrong when mounted...i mean, you can try it like i did but will probably find it hinders your progress.  Again it just humbles a person(me) and lets me know how much i really dont know.  But the journey is the reward, and im on it for sure. Today i tested the sword style quiver on the ground, cant wait to try it out on horseback.  Soon as these Montana snowstorms subside.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 06:58:20 am »
Very interesting northheart. I was sure it was a real challenge and completely different experience. Imagine doing it bareback. Or as stories I've heard hanging over side and shooting from between horses legs. I'm still practicing from my tree stand.lol
Bjrogg
PS my daughter in law did just get a couple horses.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PNewton

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 12:24:06 pm »
That's a great looking bow. What did you use for the syahs? Where did you find the information for the design?
I'm fascinated with the horse archery style of shooting. I've watched videos of Kassei & Cozmei. It's cool you got to train with them. Good luck with your training. Keep us posted.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 03:03:29 pm »
Very interesting northheart. I was sure it was a real challenge and completely different experience. Imagine doing it bareback. Or as stories I've heard hanging over side and shooting from between horses legs. I'm still practicing from my tree stand.lol
Bjrogg
PS my daughter in law did just get a couple horses.

Horses in the family you say? Now there is no excuse for you not to give it a go! I bet your daughter in law would enjoy it too.

Actually i did ride bareback a full day, which was awesome. But on the Parthian shot (aiming backwards) you cannot as effectively rotate your torso to shot without stirrups. The hanging over the side shot is something amazing, and im willing to try just about anything...once :G

You mentioned something about Buffalo earlier.  Thats in the works...(-P (SH)

That's a great looking bow. What did you use for the syahs? Where did you find the information for the design?
I'm fascinated with the horse archery style of shooting. I've watched videos of Kassei & Cozmei. It's cool you got to train with them. Good luck with your training. Keep us posted.

Thanks PNewton. The siyas were from the scrap bucket(i want to say hickory or oak, but cant remember). The boo was large precut blanks i got from a friend.  There is guy name Dave Mead(great guy, he may even be on here) who makes boo horsebows similar to this, i have one of his bows and roughly used it for inspiration. I changed a few things like how i attached the siyas to the limbs and the limbs to the handle, but the basic overall shape is similar.  This bow was a complete experiment.  Dont know if ill make another, but now that the first one got some good feedback at the practice we will see.  Last time i spoke with Dave we actually discussed making a boo horsebow with concepts specific suited to competitive mounted archery.  Also, i have considered using both "native american inspired" primitive bows at competitions, as well as making a sinew/wood core/horn belly bow.  But there is so much that goes on at these events that the bow type tends to actually be put towards the backburner.  You need something your not too attached to, things get stepped on and moved around, no matter how careful you try and be. Ive kind of learned to just go with it.

Offline PNewton

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 04:59:59 pm »
Thanks for the information NorthHeart. I've looked at Dave's website and videos.

Offline Sticks

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2019, 10:54:02 am »
 very cool looking bow looks like a lot of work went into it and it came out great

Offline bubby

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2019, 01:14:21 pm »
There are some straps around his thighs and going up to his waist.
That's a quiver, there is also a breast collar on the saddle going around the chest of the horse. Looks like one of Dave meads bows or one of his kits
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 01:18:20 pm by bubby »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹