Author Topic: would you sinew this  (Read 1767 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
would you sinew this
« on: January 30, 2019, 12:34:57 pm »
Back in 2017 I built this bow from a narrow little strip of laurel.  The bow is a really sweet shooter in the mid 30's at 24" draw despite the string tension at brace being pretty poor, though I use a low brace at 4.5".  Anyway, its 62" ttt and an inch wide for most of its length, the curves are all natural and I have thought about sinewing it for a long time.  Would you sinew it, would you sinew it along its entire length, and would the sinew pull it into a different profile?
The limbs are symmetrical, the photo is a little skewed
Any thoughts welcome

Andrew

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: would you sinew this
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 01:12:49 pm »
I would sinew it,,very gently pull a little reflex into it as the sinew drys,,I would pull it straight to start ,, and then gradually induce some reflex as it drys,, (SH)

Offline DuBois

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 11:55:35 pm »
I would but I love doing sinew. I know nothing about Laurel wood though.
How long is the non bending handle area? Even with 8" handle and fades you should be around 26" as it is now.
If you like shooting a 24" draw then it will be too long a draw for you with sinew unless you pike it some.

If it were for me I would pike 1.5" off each limb, leave the handle as is, give it a graceful and gradual reflex of the last 6 to 8" of limbs, and sinew if up good for a draw about 27"

Looks real nice as it is though!

Let us see if and when you make the changes.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 01:15:17 am »
The bow does indeed go to 26" - my boy draws it to that, but I am a little vertically challenged and 24" is as long as I can stretch.  The handle is a working handle, just beginning to move at 24".  Biggest problem is laurel, one of the best bow woods in my opinion, does not react to heat treating - it will not bend even with an hour in steam, and if you can persuade it to move a little, the bend falls straight back out after a couple of arrows.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 11:22:27 am »
I think the sinew will hold the reflex,,I have not worked with laurel,, just spit balling,,

gutpile

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 11:56:53 am »
If you sinew, induce reflex from the get go, by hanging a weight to handle and let limb tips sit on a chair... way I do mine.. I leave while it dries...up to a few months..gut

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 12:08:39 pm »
 I think the power of the current set  will prevent the bow from holding reflex.  Plus it stands a good chance of breaking on the belly if you bend it backwards to any degree.