Author Topic: String lift off  (Read 6218 times)

Offline DC

String lift off
« on: February 07, 2019, 11:40:52 am »
This is a picture of my current favourite bow at 27" draw. My normal draw length is 26.5". To me it looks like the string is just lifting off. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to having it lift of a bit earlier if I pike it a bit? The reason I ask is that with the almost 90° hooks it's a real pain to brace and also it looks like the string is barely hanging on to the nock. It's never come off but it makes me think every time I brace it. I think if I take an inch off each end it would help both things. I could also glue the tips on at a better angle to help the string drop into the nock better.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:49:50 am by DC »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: String lift off
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 11:47:18 am »
I'd leave it be. Are you using a stringer? That would make bracing it easier.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 11:53:03 am »
when ever I did that,,,,it slowed the bow down,, (--) also,, dont mess with your favorite bow,,, :D

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 11:53:19 am »
That looks ideal to me. Piking it will do 2 things. Increase overall draw weight, and increase the amount of weight gained per inch of draw in the last few inches of draw, or more simply put, increase stacking.

If you want to see what piking it will do without cutting the tips down, cut a small block of wood and glue it where you want your new tips. Shape it so the mating surfaces match the curve of the recurve. You can then carve a string groove in the block and make a new string to fit.

If you arent looking for a change in performance and are only concerned about the string coming off and want to redo your tips here is a good looking idea. Just like you did an over lay, gring flat the sides of the tip and do a side lay. Then do a new overlay on top of that. Ta Da! Brand new tips. I have done it and it looks beautiful. 
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 11:53:49 am »
No, I'm not using a stringer. Wouldn't I have to use a double groove nock for a stringer. Here's a picture of the other tip at brace. It doesn't look quite as iffy as it is in real life.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 11:56:41 am »
DC,,,please start another bow,, ok,, (=)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 11:58:30 am »
The stringer I use has a cup at each end for the tips.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 12:10:02 pm »
I think putting string grooves on the sides, smaller loops, and maybe fewer strands would make it secure and won’t change anything else and isn’t to much effort. Stuff like this is why I have about a dozen and half “spare” strings laying around.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 12:27:18 pm »
You can make your back groove a bit deeper.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 12:38:51 pm »
DC,,,please start another bow,, ok,, (=)

I thought I would get a "before" speed. I've been shooting this bow steady so it has maybe 1000 shots. With my machine I got 194fps with a 400gr arrow, the same as it was new. Maybe I should leave it.
PS Turns out the bow is 45#@28". Speed at 10gpp is 184fps

PatB I'll do some searching for stringers. I can't see how I can make a cup small enough to be able to slip the string on.

PatM Do you mean add a deeper groove just past the existing one.

Any pictures of stringers would help. :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 01:11:59 pm by DC »

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 01:07:24 pm »
OK I lied. I tested the draw weight and it is 45@28" so I found a 450 grain arrow. It shot 184fps. That sounds a little more realistic. Sorry about that.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 01:16:58 pm »
Wow nice shooting,,,congrats on that

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 01:25:27 pm »
OK I lied. I tested the draw weight and it is 45@28" so I found a 450 grain arrow. It shot 184fps. That sounds a little more realistic. Sorry about that.

I wouldnt mess with it. And if you are inclined to rework it, ill trade ya that bow for another set of staves :)

Lets get some full draw, braced and unbraced shots of it!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 02:07:41 pm »
DC you're a much more experienced and talented bowyer than myself...but I can say if I got that kind of performance I wouldn't mess with it. Here's another option for a stringer. It works good with recurves and should work with small tips.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 02:20:35 pm »
That is one option but I thought I remember reading that that kind of stringer loaded the limbs unequally and wasn't good for the bow. I could be wrong, I'm green as grass when it comes to stringers.

I'm wondering if I can get away with cutting another notch like the wiggly white spot in this picture. If I make the loop small enough it looks like it would stay in. It's the only way I can think of that will allow me to slide the string up the recurve. I'll make the tips a little longer on the next bow.