Author Topic: bitter cherry for bows  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Dante_F

bitter cherry for bows
« on: February 26, 2019, 06:43:06 pm »
so i have a piece of bitter cherry thats about five and a half feet long and maybe 4 inches wide  so i can make it wide and even though i have been steered away from bitter cherry and not to mention im a beginner im probably going to give it a go and my question if i heavily back it do you think it will work. also could i make a similar bow from big leaf maple because my neighbors are taking down their tree.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: bitter cherry for bows
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 07:40:43 pm »
It's a fruit producer so I'd go for it but if someone else says otherwise hold off until you know.
Russ
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Woodely

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 07:47:52 pm »
I would be inclined not to use bitter cherry as its somewhat on the brittle side.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 09:22:54 pm »
Just as an experiment I glued a piece of maple backing to some Bitter Cherry thinking the cherry may be OK in compression. I did a small bend over my knee and it never came all the way back. It took a lot of set, no chrysals that I saw but lots of set. It was a very crude test, the samples were kind of narrow so there still may be hope for a cherry bow backed with maple or hickory. I wouldn't do it if I was a novice because you wouldn't know if it was the wood or you that failed. What I would do is harvest the wood and stand it in the corner for a few years. Then you would no the you and the wood are ready to give it a decent shot.  I've never used soft backing like rawhide or cloth so I can't comment on them. The same goes for Big Leafed Maple. I would love for it to be workable bow wood. There is so much of it and it's so straight. I haven't tried it at all.

Offline bassman

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 09:26:36 pm »
I have had a few bad experiences with wild choke cherry as bow wood.I just use it for arrow wood now.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 09:33:43 pm »
Brittle.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 09:48:29 pm »
VMB have you ever tried it with a wood backing?

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 01:13:25 pm »
ok so ill just avoid it in the future but i see no sense sense in letting a stave go to waste so ill probably give it a try anyway >:D

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 02:24:06 pm »
  I make a lot of bows from home depot cherry whatever that is. I think black cherry. I usually back it with maple or red oak. I use it for both elbs and stiff handled flatbows

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 06:16:06 pm »
may as well try that too even though cherry is supposed to be temparmental

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 09:53:03 pm »
VMB have you ever tried it with a wood backing?

No. The wood seemed so brittle to me it wasn't worth the effort. Bigleaf maple backed and long enough makes a shooting bow, but the longevity would be in question. I backed one with hickory veneer, shot good for awhile veneer let loose, boom. If I were to try again I would want staves from larger trees with large growth rings, unbacked bow.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 10:00:16 pm by vinemaplebows »
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 07:23:44 am »
well it looks like we'll never know because when i stripped the bark off i found a bunch of insect larvae so that down the drain not to mention how thick the growth rings were, like almost half an inch. that was disappointing