Author Topic: Hickory ELB - Tips? (with pictures)  (Read 923 times)

Offline Loganic

Hickory ELB - Tips? (with pictures)
« on: February 28, 2019, 10:22:56 am »
Hello all,

My name here is Loganic (Logan + organic) and I am a young (teenager) bowyer that thoroughly enjoys the craft but remains unseasoned in the field of lumber/stave working. I've actually never made a stave bow, but I have made a couple bows from boards and a ton from nice, flexible tree limbs.

I have yet to make a board English Longbow, but I am absolutely enamored with the style (for some reason) and am determined to make something these days. I broke three maple-backed ERC ELB's before deciding I would take a break from the ERC boards (although they be perfect) and try a nice hickory piece. My goal is a 72 inch bow with ~40-45#@28"

So far, it's going well. 72 inch piece, completely straight grains down the board. 1.5 inches wide for the center two feet of the board, tapering down to half an inch. So far it's been mostly eyeballing but it looks pretty nice (at least for my standards).

Some pictures will be posted later today!

Loganic

PS Do I always have to verify before I post?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory ELB - Tips? (with pictures)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 10:46:52 am »
You can make an ELB with hickory but be prepared for a little set. With a narrow limb design and rounded belly low compression strength hickory will probably take set. Heat treating the belly should help some...and, just because it takes a little set doesn't mean it won't shoot well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC