Author Topic: Tillering Help - yew sapling  (Read 5722 times)

Offline DC

Re: Tillering Help - yew sapling
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 09:17:14 am »
You're right you know. :D I don't know why I settled on Flemish strings. All that twisting is hard on my hands and for no advantage. Maybe I'll switch.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 10:46:22 am »
You're right you know. :D I don't know why I settled on Flemish strings. All that twisting is hard on my hands and for no advantage. Maybe I'll switch.
The other advantage is the loops are served and thus harder wearing.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2019, 11:59:43 am »
But the jig is bigger than the Flemish jig ;D

Offline Woodely

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2019, 12:11:24 pm »
I find continuous loop string noisier so I will continue making flemish.  Other thing I dont bother measuring string length when I make a string and dont even bother with the shorter strings during the process,  If I have a 64" longbow I make it 3" shorter, adjust the last Loop to get my length.  Then I cut off the excess with the scissors.  I'm wasting maybe 35" of string .  I use 14  strands.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 12:23:47 pm by Woodely »
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2019, 12:44:17 pm »
...and you still have to add the serving. Which is worst, twisting or wrapping?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2019, 02:52:59 pm »
+1 on DC's post. 
Not sure what kind of jig you are using, but you can adjust the length of string that you wrap over for the loop and dial it in that way.  So if measuring 8" from the end and your string is coming out too long, try 8.25" on your next one.  Like has been mentioned, there's some trial and error, but you should be able to get real close after making a few.  Keep notes on what you try. 
And those ones that don't come out right, you can keep them for tillering strings.  I have about 10 or so at various lengths to use for tillering.   

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2019, 03:57:04 pm »
Lol looking at your setup it makes me think it’s in my back yard. Mine is on my fence just like that. Good looking bow.
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline Badger

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2019, 04:25:12 pm »
  I have mu jig marked for different string material. 10 strands fast flight comes out 1" shorter than length marked on jig. Linen I use the marks for the bow length and the string comes out 3" shorter.