Author Topic: Help with tiller  (Read 8870 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Help with tiller
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2019, 08:48:33 pm »
It appears to me that you will be thin in the fades. Hard to tell from the pics. I agree, that that looks better for sure, but if your thickness isn’t adequate in the fades it will bend there. Bending there is a problem. But, if you keep it lite weight you might be ok.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2019, 02:20:06 pm »
thanks for all your help guys but the bow snapped at a hinge by the tips.  :'( :'( well you live and you learn  ;D ;D ;D! I'm actually surprised it didn't snap sooner and I'm actually not upset because now I know I can make a better bow! thanks again!
 (--) (--) (--)

Russ
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 02:26:12 pm by Deerhunter21 »
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2019, 03:42:06 pm »
Well that sucks.  But, it was just a stick and there are lot's of them.  Advice....find the best piece of wood you can get your hands on.  I prefer staves, but boards are easier to come by.  Either way, the better material you start with the better your chances of success.  With a pipe straight stave of good quality you have some latitude for making a few mistakes and still come out with a shooter.  I will offer it one more time...if your interested in borrowing my TBB I, I will send it to you.  Let me know.  I borrowed my first copy.  I devoured it as I was working on my first one.  It.s yours to read if you want it.  Good luck with that next stave!

Offline DC

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2019, 04:38:15 pm »
Too bad but it happens. I was looking at the plans you used. it shows the limbs as being 5/16" thick at the tips and 5/8"(I think) at the fades. How close to that did you go when you were roughing out? If you tried to go too close you won't have any wiggle room. If you use that drawing again rough out to at least 1/8" bigger and then reduce it as you see it bend. The bend is the key, not the dimensions. They are a rough guide.

Offline willie

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2019, 04:58:28 pm »
dc, good point. I am a bit confused by those plans. it looks like a pyramid limb with a short parallel section coming out of the fades. once the limb goes pyramid, the thickness should not change much...or looking at it another way, if the limb tapers from 5/8 to 5/16, I would expect to see a more parallel width limb.

are you sure that is a proven design DH?

would anyone with experience tillering a similar bow care to comment? I don't have a bow with a width profile like that on hand to compare

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2019, 08:54:56 am »
PM sent SLIMBOB

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2019, 09:04:53 am »
Got the PM ....and the flu.  I will get to the post office manana.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2019, 09:15:48 am »
sorry to hear that SLIMBOB. Hope you get well soon! Also thanks again for letting me borrow the TBB!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2019, 09:31:00 am »
Glad to do it.  Lot's of really good basic principals covered in TBB I.   I would bet I have read it a half dozen times, maybe more.  Understanding those basics let you put them into practice as you go.