Author Topic: Ipe board bows (unbacked)  (Read 14742 times)

Offline artcher1

Re: Ipe board bows (unbacked)
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 11:15:07 am »
I'm not really all that interested in backed bows Marc. That's kind of like cheating when it comes to hunting :-[.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 12:04:40 pm »
Ill be the first one to say that the Ipe I got from Bob was far superior to anything I have sen at lumber dealers.  It makes an incredible selfbow if you can find a good enough piece.  However, I like Marc and Rich think that a bamboo backed ipe is an incredible bow. I fail to see how backing it with boo is cheating.  We know that the natives of most regions of the world build composit and backed bows for war and hunting.  I like boo backed bows for hunting.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline bcbull

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 12:07:52 pm »
 guys  2 place s to get ipe  i know of ,,, justin sells it  at bowstick and rich also  has slats   hope that helps

Offline artcher1

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 12:23:48 pm »
Don't think you got the jest of that remakrk Justin ;D. But let me rephrase that for you, "kind of like cheating to me personally :-[.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 12:28:30 pm »
Gotcha Dave.  I live in a desert with no bow wood, so what I have is by the generosity of great guys on this site and trades.  I learned to make bows by making backed bows so it is a little different to me.  I use what I can get.  ;)  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline artcher1

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 01:40:31 pm »
My situation is somewhat reversed from yours Justin but similar also. I live in the middle of a hardwood forest but am unable to get out and collect my own wood anymore. So, like you, I have to depend on others for bow wood or trade for it. And you're right, we use what we can get.- ART B

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 01:50:02 pm »
Never backed a bow with anything other than rawhide or sinew but I have a nice piece of Ipe that I had thought about boo backing,may give it a try ,someday. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 02:16:25 pm »
I'm in the process of tillering a bamboo backed ipe and have plans for more, but ipe (in my limited experience) can make wonderfully fast self bows.  A little time picking out the right board saves the time and trouble of preparing and gluing on a backing.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Jesse

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 10:48:45 pm »
Never tried unbacked ipe. I would like to get a hold of an actual stave and not a board but I doubt it can be found without a good connection.  I dont see anything wrong with backing it. I love the way bamboo looks on a bow and it certainly doesn't hurt the performance :)   Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark