Author Topic: another D/R tiller check and question about the "D"  (Read 3413 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: another D/R tiller check and question about the "D"
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 12:48:38 pm »
Jeff I'm sure your better at that design than me. If I had to take more wood it might come from area between the deflex and the reflex. It looks like the outers are working nicely to my eye. Also area out of fades
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 01:01:22 pm »
also, if you shoot it alot,, the tiller may reveal somethings that you cant see now, you can compenstate for that,,, on your next one if need be,,

Offline willie

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 02:28:45 pm »
so what you are asking is if your design should be different, judging from the full draw profile?

what do you want your design to do primarily? stability seems to be the criteria in the OP. of course this is a question of ts own and worthy of discussion :)

I am not experienced with choosing various designs for a given purpose (with r/d bows), but the recently reviewed bow simulator app lets you see what any given design looks like as it is drawn out.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 08:35:24 pm »
Thanks for chiming in Leon. I'm working on a deflex static recurve that I hope turns out even close to as fast as yours.  (SH)

Woodley, it's there, just real subtle.

Ben, it's hickory/ipe/cherry. I got the ipe from the only place around here that sells it, so I never saw anything darker. It's great stuff though. Thanks for your thoughts. You definitely have helped me start to figure these things out.

Thanks Badge. I learned a lot from some input you gave me on a previous bow regarding outer limbs.

Thanks for turning that around Don. I think your mind is working just fine.  :D

Aw, really Pearly? Well it's your fault for posting that last bow with the perfect tiller! Now I've gotta get um bending like that!  (R  ;D

I hear ya Brad.  (--) And good point about how it could change/settle a bit over time. I'll be outside shooting it a ton when it gets a little warmer.

I was thinking the same thing as you BJ. I'm gonna do the rest with sandpaper and lots of pics in between. I'm gonna start w/ the area you mentioned.

Willie, I guess I'd like a little more stability at brace and maybe a tad smoother draw. I think maybe just a tad more deflex.

Thanks everyone  )P(
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 09:30:33 pm »
If you make your inner limbs wider you can cut back on working limb quite a bit and it will greatly stabilize the bow at brace.

Offline willie

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2019, 01:29:36 pm »
thanks for sharing that, Steve

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 03:43:11 pm »
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 07:12:51 pm »
Just testing my Gimp. This is what I want to do but I have no idea how I did it. By making a copy of the image and flipping it you can compare the limbs

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 08:17:52 pm »
Jeff, I'm just playing with this photo editing and notice that with one of my bows the "two" arrows are a lot farther apart and my hands are right on top of each other. Yours aren't. Your bow is asymmetrical. I wonder if that changes the way the tiller should look. You have to squeeze those two bends into a shorter space. That means the bends have to be tighter. Just thinking out loud. Maybe you don't want to change it too much.

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 08:31:53 pm »
Here's yours with the layers slid sideways a bit to make up for the asymmetry.