Author Topic: Fuming  (Read 3154 times)

Offline DC

Fuming
« on: February 24, 2019, 02:46:18 pm »
Does anyone know if fuming will straighten out any curves or corrections I've done?

Offline dratera

Re: Fuming
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 12:00:45 am »
I did fume a couple static recurves,  did not affect the curves. Did it with household ammonia tho, not very strong, over a couple days

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 07:26:10 am »
I'm a skeptic, cant help myself. Two things I wont do for another 10 years, or so. Hollow limb bows and fuming. I need to see the long term affects, if they exist. Ammonia is wicked stuff and for me to believe it does nothing adversely to the wood will take time.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 07:35:21 am »
I'm a skeptic, cant help myself. Two things I wont do for another 10 years, or so. Hollow limb bows and fuming. I need to see the long term affects, if they exist. Ammonia is wicked stuff and for me to believe it does nothing adversely to the wood will take time.
x2

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 08:29:49 am »
I have done a fair amount of fumed bows (even HLD ones O:) ) and have not noticed any previously heated curves come out or back. Haven't noticed any side effects on fumed bows even after a few thousand arrows

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 08:35:43 am »

I'm kind of with you on this, it is wicked stuff. But if we all waited 10 years nothing would get done ;D. I fumed some Pacific Crab tips and they turned a beautiful grey so I want to try this.

Dratera- I use household ammonia, I can't find anything stronger so, yeah, it does take a long time. I found that if I put the bottle of ammonia on one of those coffee cup warmers it speeds the whole thing up quite a bit.

Thanks Leon

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 12:44:57 pm »
Just an update. I fumed the bow for 4 days and it's been drying for about 3 weeks and the sideways bend I took out originally has come back. I don't think it's the fuming as much as the bow getting soaking wet while it's fuming.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 01:07:25 pm »
that makes perfect sense,,
I think on a bow like that,, maybe a different finish with less moisture,, might be the way to go,, that being said,, can you straighten it back ,, without messing up the fumed finish,,

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 01:27:57 pm »
I just finished steaming it again and it looks like it didn't bother the "finish"

Offline Ancient Paths

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 01:26:01 pm »
I would love to see some before and after pictures.

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 03:25:50 pm »
I don't have any before pictures but this Pacific Crabapple, it's white wood like Maple. This about 36 hrs fuming.

Offline Ancient Paths

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 06:07:13 pm »
Really nice! Thanks for sharing. How about tight bond 3? Will it dissolve it and make it come unglued?

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 06:17:49 pm »
Don't know about Tight Bond. I've never used it.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 06:38:29 am »
I glue my tipoverlays with titebond 3 and have never had one come loose after fuming...

Offline Woodely

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 09:11:52 am »
I have done heat correction on Laminated bows glued using TB3 and never had them de-laminate.  This extra moisture deal using water based glue is just a fear.  I have literally glued up thousands of board feet using TB, from doors to windows to boxes and of course bows.  And worked on them aggressively the same day or the following day.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."