Author Topic: Frustrating! Any ideas?  (Read 6889 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: Frustrating! Any ideas?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 05:14:35 am »
With the quarter seen do I chase a ring like a flat sawn and a regular stave?
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2019, 06:53:49 am »
Bad grain there. More on my site. Jawge

http://traditionalarchery101.com
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2019, 07:28:53 am »
With flat grain you could chase a ring but with quarter sawn you can't just because of the direction the grain runs. Read George's site!
 He explains what to look for in a board that is suitable for a bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Woodely

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2019, 09:01:18 am »
With the quarter seen do I chase a ring like a flat sawn and a regular stave?
I was just talking about boards not staves.   You dont chase rings on a board.  I back almost all my bows just because its added insurance.   You be the judge when picking out a board and keep trying.   It took me half the time to tiller a Self bow as it does a laminate bow.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline maitus

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 11:01:24 am »
I would never take in mind to make board bow without backing. I understand if You have no access to materials but there is no point either to make potentially broken bows. You shoult use backing. At least some fabric, rawhide or some fibers.

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2019, 11:27:08 am »
The trouble with that thinking is that thin strips of boards are considered backings in their own right.

Offline maitus

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2019, 12:01:34 pm »
Yes, but the grain of the backings does not go thru tehe limbs. Backing work just under the tension. And it depends of type of the wood too. You probably wouldnt make backing from pine :). I think the thin backing, cuted from the same board could even work if to glue it onto the back with grain in opposite direction. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 12:34:19 pm by maitus »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2019, 12:15:03 pm »
I like to back my board bows with rawhide,, I know its probably not needed most the time,, but I just like it,,

Offline PatM

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 02:12:58 pm »
Yes, but the grain of the backings does not go thru tehe limbs. Backing work just under the tension. And it depends of type of the wood too. You probably wouldnt make backing from pine :). I think the thin backing, cuted from the same board could even work if to glue it onto the back with grain in opposite direction.

The grain of the board shouldn't go through either.
  The point is that a board should be selected just like a good backing.

Offline maitus

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2019, 02:49:44 pm »

My point is that if to use a good backing, for example bamboo backing, you dont have to look at grain of the board at all :). In this case You can use any board. Its much easier to find a backing than a good board.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 03:54:38 pm by maitus »

Offline willie

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2019, 03:21:09 pm »
deer hunter

a stave is not that hard to come by. there are lots of places to cut something 3-4 inches in diameter

if you are shopping for boards at the big box store, you will look long and hard to find something that is not cheap junk

picking through boards at a dedicated hardwood supplier is maybe a bit more useful, but there is a guy in tecumseh that has a garage full of stuff that most of us have to pay good shipping to buy from his site on ebay   

Offline Mafort

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2019, 03:25:22 pm »
I got two staves of Osage orange. One is like 1 year old the other 3 years old. Shoot me your address and I’ll see what shipping is like. If it’s decent I will give it to you.

Offline sleek

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2019, 03:44:35 pm »
Hickory axe/sledge handles can also be ripped into multiple backing strips, just as an idea.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Woodely

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2019, 04:06:03 pm »

My point is that if to use a good backing, for example bamboo backing, you dont have to look at grain of the board at all :). In this case You can use any board. Its much easier to find a backing than a good board.

Wrong "O"  find the best board you can,  another big problem with boards is you can easily end up with Prop twist or one limb twists,    :o   this has happened to me a few times even if the grain seems  adequate.   And a good backing does not cure limb twist.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline sleek

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2019, 04:16:34 pm »

Well, id be interested in seeing a bow built like this.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others