Author Topic: Frustrating! Any ideas?  (Read 6867 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Frustrating! Any ideas?
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2019, 04:23:13 pm »

My point is that if to use a good backing, for example bamboo backing, you dont have to look at grain of the board at all :). In this case You can use any board. Its much easier to find a backing than a good board.

Not good advice.

Offline sleek

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2019, 05:01:38 pm »
Dont take all this as us giving you a hard time, or picking on you. We have all spent many years learning, and doing our best to get rid of incorrect information. We are very protective of our craft, and as a result will do our best to point out something when its wrong and correct it. I hope you understand. Perhaps you wpuld do well to learn a bit more before taking on the role of teacher.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2019, 05:14:13 pm »

My point is that if to use a good backing, for example bamboo backing, you dont have to look at grain of the board at all :). In this case You can use any board. Its much easier to find a backing than a good board.

Terrible advise. That is why most pieces of wood are not ok for bow making and they are for trim and furniture

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2019, 05:21:00 pm »
I dont feel like you guys are picking at me! the more you nag the happier I am!  ;)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2019, 05:21:12 pm »
Lol. Yes I could be a blabber mouth.
Bjrogg

Could?
BUT, ya usually have sumpin to say that's worth the read.   ;D
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline maitus

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2019, 11:01:13 pm »

Not good advice.
Why? Because You say so :)? Ok guys, i must fight back against to Yor attack :D. Of course, a good advise would be to get a good stave or board from a good bow wood and to make a good bow :). But like Deerhunter21 sayd, he has no access to good bow material. Regardless of that, he has a big wish to make bows. My advise is a chance.

sleek...- here is my bow im useing for target shooting. Its bamboo backed junniper, very knoty and the stave looked like a corkscrew. 150cm NTN 17kg draw and 158 f/s. No side twist in limbs. And its unbreakable.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 05:51:11 am by maitus »

Offline maitus

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2019, 11:05:34 pm »
Srry about my look and background . Its early morning in here, i made those shots for this post :D.

Offline PatM

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2019, 05:56:22 am »
You are using  an exception to make a rule.    Using Juniper and Bamboo to illustrate that any crummy HD board is fine belly material with a backing is still bad advice.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2019, 06:07:29 am »
maitus~ that's a very nice bow... 60" 38# and getting lots of draw length... are there nodes on the bamboo backing?  I think what everyone meant was that some pieces of wood will not hold up under the bamboo.  I have even seen osage with bad swirls break with bamboo backing.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline maitus

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2019, 06:37:09 am »
You are using  an exception to make a rule.    Using Juniper and Bamboo to illustrate that any crummy HD board is fine belly material with a backing is still bad advice.
Ok, i am ready to prove it and to make one, if You are redy to make a bet on it :D!  Condition is that the board must be cuted from considerable type of bow wood. I have one very very ugly elm board with grain into every direction, i decided to make firewood from it. I can make classical english longbow from this board with bamboo backing and it will be faster than my junniper/bamboo bow. Or elm is also exception? :D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 06:46:54 am by maitus »

Offline maitus

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2019, 06:41:21 am »
Bob Barnes Thats right. You cant make thus a short bow from every type of wood, but You can make a longer bow.

Offline maitus

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2019, 06:42:53 am »
Srry, there is no nodes.

Offline sleek

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2019, 06:49:40 am »
Thats an awesome looking bow. Great tiller, clearly you can make a good bow.

Im still going to say, a board has limits before it can be made into a bow. Backing will let you get away with a lot, but backings are not bullet proof. Even if they were, the bellies can fail in compression from bad grain.

Id like to challenge you to find the worst board you can, and bamboo back it. See what you can make, maybe you will surprise us.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2019, 07:06:07 am »
yes matius! it would be worth experimenting with a terrible board and bamboo as if it works you would be helping alot of beginners, and if it doesn't work no harm done! :BB
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline maitus

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2019, 07:14:51 am »
Ok  sleek! I think about it :D... I agree that there are limits. Some boards have knots in same wide as the board is and they break when You try to lift them :D. I hope nobody is so stupid to start to make a bow form that kind of board :D. Again. Deerhunter21-s bow woult have survived if he woult use bamboo backing.