Author Topic: Just cannot...  (Read 5119 times)

PAWannabe

Just cannot...
« on: April 02, 2008, 12:18:50 am »
seem to find the right arrow for my bow. :( I'm shooting a 50-55 lb selfbow. 29" draw. Slight shelf cut... right handed. All of the arrow I have shot are hitting left.  I guess this tells me I'm overspined. I've tried Easton 2016 with a 145 gr point and 45-50 poplars with a 145 gr. point. I just bought a jig and would like to begin fletching my own arrows but am not sure where to begin. I'd like to hunt with 170 gr trade points this fall, so I guess I need to get 165 gr field points to be close. Do I stick with the 45-50 in a Port Orford with the added weight up front or go with a weaker spine?  ???

I'm pretty new to archery and very new to the primitive side. Thanks for your help.

buck1

Re: Just cannot...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 12:40:28 am »
go cut you some river cane shafts, fletch them up put on some points and go stump shooting! Really it isn't as critical as with a compound ;) Buck

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 02:50:10 am »
Yes, start with the 45-50, leave them long and heavier points.  If the spine is still to heavy you can sand the last 6 inches (nock end) and reduce the spine. If it is to weak you can cut 1/2" off the arrow.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

PAWannabe

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 06:48:24 pm »
Thanks!  Justed ordered some POC 45-50. I'll leave them long and put some more weight up front and see how they fly.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 08:05:07 pm »
good luck with you shooting PA
Modern Day Tramp

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 11:03:06 pm »
just do like me. keep shooting stuff till ya find the right thing ;D. not really. expensive. take the older guys advice, im a biginer also.
lets just shoot it

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 11:58:30 pm »
I would guess you are locking your elbow on your bow arm .. try turning your wrist inward and canting the bow in a flatter position and see how they fly... I have seen several shooters hitting consistently left because of the locked elbow... hope this helps.. Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 12:59:47 am »
Are your arrows sticking straight in the target? It takes practice to get used to shooting a non-center shot bow when your used to a center shot bow. It could be your a problem with your form as Mike said. I need to really stick my left shoulder out towards my chin to get in line with the arrow. See if any of this helps you. I do shoot 45-50 spine arrows out of most of my selfbows.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 10:06:15 am »
Ditto to Justin,Mike and Ryano. The arrows will make a difference as much as consistency of shooting form. Good luck
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

PAWannabe

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 02:49:00 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys. I know I'm not locking my elbow as the arm guard I have doesn't cover the protruding bone that the string manages to find.  :o OUCH!
I was shooting a center cut recurve which was much more forgiving. It shot just about everything well.
I agree that the self bow will take some getting use to but I wouldn't have it any other way.
I'll keep practicing and see how the new arrows I'm making fly.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 06:28:42 pm »
sounds like you have her fugured out.. good luck with the shootin and happy huntin .. Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston