Author Topic: Hide glue texture, mixing  (Read 1595 times)

Offline StickMark

Hide glue texture, mixing
« on: March 22, 2019, 08:29:24 am »
Should granulated hide glue be olive oil consistency for applying the sinew.  I am not talking sizing.

Reason I ask is a second layer of sinew peeled off in a few places.  Taking a knife, I was able to lift off the entire second layer.

I am going to clean up the back, light amount of Dawn soap and water, then rinse.  Then I will apply the rinsed sinew. (I did a thick, 2 layer job on another bow, and it is great.  Emphasis on thicker mixture)

I know the ratio is around 60-40%, water weight to dry hide granules, or something like that.  What does a proper ratio look and feel like?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hide glue texture, mixing
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 08:41:26 am »
I don't know the ratio but make it up to the consistency of syrup maybe a little thicker than olive oil.  I use the same consistency for sizing and applying sinew.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 08:48:13 am »
Should granulated hide glue be olive oil consistency for applying the sinew.  I am not talking sizing.

Reason I ask is a second layer of sinew peeled off in a few places.  Taking a knife, I was able to lift off the entire second layer.

I am going to clean up the back, light amount of Dawn soap and water, then rinse.  Then I will apply the rinsed sinew. (I did a thick, 2 layer job on another bow, and it is great.  Emphasis on thicker mixture)

I know the ratio is around 60-40%, water weight to dry hide granules, or something like that.  What does a proper ratio look and feel like?
I'm just in the middle of reading Karpowhatzit's (sorry) book and he recommends cotton gloves to keep hand oils off the back. If sounded a bit over the top but I can see myself running my hands over the nice new first layer of sinew and depositing a layer of oils. Could be there's something to it.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 08:56:09 am »
Something to think about on a bow that returns to it's predrawn shape. If you could measure that bow the instant you took the string off which is impossible you would find most of the regained shape happens in the first second.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 09:05:10 am »
Is this an answer to me over on the New Project thread?

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 01:21:08 pm »
Hide glue is really not that finicky.   A syrup consistency is typically mentioned but syrup texture itself varies depending on temp.

A clean uncontaminated with oil surface is important.  Don't be afraid to really wash the first layer well with dawn and give it a hot rinse right before starting the next layer.   Most people work bare handed after  cleaning the bow surface but make sure you wash your hands really well and periodically while you're working.

Offline willie

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 02:39:36 pm »
actually different "weights" of hide glue have different consistencies. when mixed with the proper amount of water. any more info in your particular hide glue?
all glue can be thinned, but making it thinner than it needs to be just causes more shrinkage when drying, so may not the best way to solve problems until you know what caused the delamination in the first place

Offline StickMark

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 06:23:48 pm »
Wilie,

I am using Pine Hollow granules.  I reapplied this afternoon. I soaked the 2nd layer that came off, and separated the  old sinew from the old glue.

This time,  I made the mixture thicker, like I did with the first layer. 
Also would run the back of the bow extremely briefly over low heat to keep the back pliable.  Prior, I washed with soap and rinsed with real hot water.