Author Topic: Bow thickness  (Read 5336 times)

Offline High-Desert

Re: Bow thickness
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 11:13:39 am »
Using the example of 3 times, you take 3÷8 then add your 1 and you get 1.375 times thickness to make it 3Xs stronger. Carry that logic to 4 times, which is half of 8, the answers should be 1.5. 4÷8+1=1.5. To make the bow 4 times stronger, you need tlit 1.5 times thicker. It works out all the way to 8 times stronger, 8÷8+1=2. So, i think that proves the equation to be true. Its just a simpmified version of what DCs granddaughter came up with. Good on her btw. Most kids dont think that way.

It may be close enough, all I was saying was that it wasn’t mathematically correct as far as where it derives from. Your method is much faster when you don’t have a calculator.
Eric

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 01:15:25 pm »
Bending strength is proportional to the moment of inertia of a rectangular cross section.  The moment of inertia formula of a rectangle is  I = [(Width)x (Thickness)^3]/3.  So it's a cubed root relationship. 
Assuming you are keeping the width the same and you want to double the strength, take the cubed root of 2.
2X Stronger = 1.259x original thickness (your grand daughter is smart  :) , I had to go to college for 5 years and I still don't know a lot of this, or better yet I forgot most of it)
3X = 1.442
4X= 1.587
8X= 2

The cubed root of 8 happens to be 2. 
The length of the bow is not relevant in this discussion.
You can also use the % increase in moment of inertia to determine how much affect a few thousandths of an inch will have on it's bending strength. 
See below.  Increasing the thickness in this example by 0.010" will theoretically increase the strength by 6 %. 

Width Thickness   Inertia            % increase
1.1   0.5           0.045833333   
1.1   0.502   0.046385536   1.20554244
1.1   0.503   0.046663293   1.811562048
1.1   0.504   0.046942157   2.419996073
1.1   0.505   0.047222129   3.030849315
1.1   0.506   0.047503213   3.644126575
1.1   0.507   0.047785409   4.259832653
1.1   0.508   0.048068721   4.877972349
1.1   0.509   0.048353151   5.498550462
1.1   0.51           0.0486387         6.121571793

Don't get too carried away with this as there's assumptions that go into the formula.  Rectangular cross section and uniform material are important to note.  But it's good for approximations.

Offline willie

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2019, 01:40:46 pm »
easy to see where a little wood makes a big diifereence when it comes to tillering those last six inches.

Don
 so just remove wood to lighten the tips until they the bending becomes perceptible?,
and why are there so many engineers types gather round this campfire tillering sticks like primitives?

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2019, 01:51:27 pm »
Closet cave men ;D ;D

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2019, 01:56:07 pm »
Two divided by eight
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2019, 02:03:52 pm »
***Disclaimer- none of these formulas will help you build better bows***

Building bows will help you build better bows  :BB

Offline sleek

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2019, 02:18:46 pm »
The fun part of all this is, none of this actually has anything to do with how strong the bow is at 28". Rather it has to do with how many inches of draw it takes for it to hit the calculated draw weight, assuming the draw weight, bow length and width doesnt change from the bow you based your calculations off of.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Ballasted_Bowyer

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2019, 02:28:05 pm »
D=F•E(L^2)/(( H^ 2)( W ))
Displacement at the noches of the bow
E modulous of elasticity
H thickness
W width
L length
F force applied to a noch in the horizontal component

With all other factors being constant, the displacement is inversely proportional to the square of thickness as in, D=Constant/H^2

Knowing this will not help you make a better bow with natural materials because the engineering properties of organic materials are highly variable. Even within the same tree E can very by quite a bit. Just go with experience.
Acts 10:12-13  "It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. Then a voice told him, 'Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.'"

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2019, 02:50:57 pm »
I think that is what i said first,, just a little,, )P( :D

Offline willie

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2019, 03:19:37 pm »
Even within the same tree E can very by quite a bit.
yes, and the elasticity also

Offline peacefullymadewarbows

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2019, 12:45:12 pm »
This is the thread I've been wanting for a long time.  (lol) Agreed that each stave within a species can vary drastically but this is just very cool and allows one to ideally take an overweight bow with an already good tiller down more precisely to desired draw weight without changing tiller because you can use proportional change of limb thickness along the whole limb. Gotta make sure your calipers are in good shape though.  ;) Wish I could have contributed more.

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2019, 01:06:27 pm »
I may have started this thread but I sure wouldn't use this information for other than the wildest ballpark estimates. I sure wouldn't count on it for determining the thickness of a primo yew stave. I asked because I was unsure if the levers on my Molle were going to be thick enough and double the thickness was just way to much so I wondered how much thicker it had to be to double the weight. I was pretty sure that would still be too thick but it would be a lot closer.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2019, 09:02:13 am »
  I'm not disparaging anybody, because you are all both correct and helpful.  Some of you guys really know your stuff. (And, I love you all, and I love this site).  However, I am POSITIVE our friend DC a has been around long enough to already know a lot of what was said.  He's just a guy who likes to learn through questions.

"I never consider thickness, but tiller to the weight I'm aiming for."   Agreed, but you gotta start somewhere.  I lose more bows "roughing out" than I do anywhere else. 

"You do have to consider the stability of the very narrow tips(lever)."  Indeed, but that's implicit to what he's asking.  "If I narrow by this much HERE, how much thickness do I have to add so it bends the same (bad idea)?  And how much do I need to add to make it bend less?  How much to make it NOT bend?  How much narrowing is too much?, etc.

"This only works if the bending stresses do not exceed the proportional limit of your materials however."   Indeed.  The main, constant, and universal consideration when making bows of wood.   Bowyery 101.

"Just wondering and wandering, neither limb length nor limb width enter into the equation."  Correct, but that's ok because the rule applies to any length or width.  As a rule of thumb, with some experience, it can be applied to the proportions of any given bow.   

"Knowing this will not help you make a better bow with natural materials because the engineering properties of organic materials are highly variable."  I agree that making wooden bows by formula doesn't work well, but I think it DOES help me make better bows (along with a slew of other design principles).
 It has helped me a lot.   It helps make sure you have too much, rather than too little, material to work with.  It also makes no sense to do work with scrapers and sandpaper that could be done with a plane or rasp, nor to leave dead weight where it isn't needed.   It helps ME to realize what I can get away with, and when I really ought to stop.

Marc says:  "Two divided by eight."  I agree with this.  The cubed root calculation is technically CLOSER, more accurate, but I generally use 25%, because, like Pat said, you still have to tiler the bow.   It gives me plenty to work with later, but not so much that I get bored to death scraping.

This rule of thumb applies best to starting points, and helping one keep an eye on one's work as tiller progresses.

For instance, say I'm making a 66" elm Mollie.  If I add 25% of the bending limb thickness to the outer limb, it will be stiffer, even though half as wide.  If I fudge that up to 30%, I'm really in the clear, esp. since I know I will be messing some with the cross section of the lever.  So, now I know I can fade-IN from thin to thick over the 2", have totally stiff levers during tillering, and arrive at tiller by working the thickness of the bending limb by TILLER, not measurement.  Thinning there only increases the ratio, so when I'm done there, I still have enough material in the levers to tweak them down narrow, work the straight, and maybe reverse trap them a bit as I finish off, all while keeping the

"I may have started this thread but I sure wouldn't use this information for other than the wildest ballpark estimates."  I think that's how that rule of thumb is best applied.

Offline DC

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2019, 09:34:06 am »
I kind of applied this yesterday but... The working limbs are tapered both in width and thickness as are the levers. By the time I figured an average for each and divided the width of the working limb by the width of the lever and then worked out the thickness of the.... well by then it was obviously going to be a WAG.
But there is no such thing as useless knowledge, every little thing you learn about bows helps, even if you don't think it does. ;D

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2019, 12:32:22 pm »
I think DC got it right.  I can tell you the length and width of of any bow in my collection.  I cant tell you the thickness of any of them.  Every one of them is just thin enough to bend properly.  That is not meant to disparage anyone who may put more value in that component than myself.  To each his own, but for me, the thickness is the product of my work.  Incidental to everything else.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.