Author Topic: Tips to skinny?  (Read 2092 times)

Offline IrishJay

Re: Tips to skinny?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 06:36:45 pm »
Another quick thought. I'm planning antler tip overlays, and I usually do overlays post tiller (that way if I break it during tiller I haven't wasted the time/material). With these tips being so skinny should I do the overlays pretiller for extra reassurance?
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 06:57:16 pm »
One more question for the night, should I toast the belly of the limbs before gluing the underlays on?
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2019, 04:52:59 am »
Anything you want toasted do it before glue up.
 This is another good reason to not make a final shape until you get to first brace at least. The last 6" to 8" of the limb tips should be left wide so corrections can be made. Once braced and you see how the string tracks you can shape the tips.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2019, 06:28:05 am »
I had the same problem after removing cracked wood on a static bend.

Overlay, I bent the lams on the same form I bent the limb tip.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2019, 04:45:37 pm »
1st underlay glued up.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2019, 05:05:50 pm »
 :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC