Author Topic: Osage Sliver Bow  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Osage Sliver Bow
« on: April 10, 2019, 06:25:25 pm »
I haven’t posted a bow in quite sometime. All of my shop equipment and even AAALL my tools have been packed up and in storage since June of last year. I had someone that really needed a bow for the season so did manage to make him one back in November. Nothing too fancy. Well ever since then it’s been really hard to fight the itch. Well I had taken the kayak out to do some salmon fishing on the Columbia and I noticed a sliver of Osage in the back of the truck. Well I figured I had a knife some sand paper and a few other things around the house I’m sure I could make a bow. Well as soon as a finished it, there was an incident...
I woke up to this SOB trespassing, putting all sorts of different colored....what I’m assuming could either be eggs or grenades. Now before you say, “of course it’s eggs!” But the fact remains; it’s no where near Easter!
Naturally I needed to eliminate the threat from the property. Lucky I had the sliver bow on the table close by. Once the trespasser/terrorist was taken care of I realized I really had to pee. With all the adrenaline flowing and my fight-or-flight response pulsing my body must have pushed the urge aside.
While I took care of that I grabbed a few things so I could go harvest my kill. Well, where I live (rural Oregon) there has been a lot of discussion about an abundance of predators. Now, if you’ve never had this happen, you need to thank those who actively hunt predators and definitely thank a Trapper.
But, when I came back a very sharp toothed meat eating predator was on my kill go’n to town! Luckily! I had a predator tag. In my younger days I never use to carry more than one tag at a time but this has happened to me before when a small bear decided to claim a deer of mine. Well this time I was definitely prepared and dispatched this thief quickly!
Moral of the story; be aware that you might not be the first one to find your prey. AND......don’t trespass....🥴✌🏼
24” NTN
1/2” wide
Just under 3/16” nocks

#7@10.5”

-Bryce

« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 06:51:02 pm by Bryce »
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
Re: Osage Sliver Bow
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 06:33:31 pm »
(B) hahaha ya had me going there! I've recently gone and had a look through your bows, awesome collection!
stop fighting the itch!

Zach

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 07:13:43 pm »
Nice sliver Bryce. I hope you get your shop and tools back.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline TimBo

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 08:05:24 pm »
Thanks, I needed a good laugh today.  That would have been a great April 1st post!

Offline Sagebrush

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 10:47:38 pm »
Nice work... I've never been able to draw a  Velociraptor tag in Washington. Maybe I should put in for the Oregon draw. I've heard they are thick down on the Columbia. But I've never thought of baiting them?

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 11:50:31 pm »
Nice work... I've never been able to draw a  Velociraptor tag in Washington. Maybe I should put in for the Oregon draw. I've heard they are thick down on the Columbia. But I've never thought of baiting them?

Out of state is pretty price but if you can draw one do it!  Yeah think I got lucky this go round.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 02:43:58 am »
That was funny. I needed a good laugh. Thanks Bryce. Nice looking little bow too.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 05:51:59 am »
 ;D (lol)That's an awesome story... And dang you got all the details going on that. I assume #7 is warbow draw weight on that size, killed dino so must be...

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 06:07:19 am »
Now that's a post! ;D
1’—>1’

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 06:26:04 pm »
YE HAVE FELLED YER MIGHTY PREY, the great weight of seven pounds is too much for us mere mortals to handle  :o (A), looks good .

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 06:59:08 pm »
Best post I've read in quite some time.  8) Glad you got that little monster!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 10:31:28 pm »
Good thing you were able to get a kill shot on that predator - they can be dangerous when wounded!  I remember trying to track down a wounded mugwump in heavy timber, very carefully!

The finish of your hunt caught Little Fiddle Woman by surprise!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 02:03:07 am »
👻😂😂😂🤣🤣😎

Thanks guys. My niece just got a tub of savannah animals so I’ve been thinking of saving up some money and going on a guided safari hunt. Hopefully she will still have some hunting dates open for me.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 07:10:22 pm »
So what type of string material and how many strands does one use for a sliver bow?
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 11:34:09 pm »
So what type of string material and how many strands does one use for a sliver bow?

I think I used 4 strands of FF
Clatskanie, Oregon