Author Topic: What Adhesive for Whitetail Antler  (Read 2791 times)

Offline DC

Re: What Adhesive for Whitetail Antler
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 12:30:44 pm »
You can violate the ring under the overlay. Take a look at the angle of the overlays on some of the bows posted here. And as flat as you can, no wobble :D

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 02:28:55 pm »
Gotcha
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline rps3

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2019, 05:06:36 am »
I have experienced 2 failures with ca glue, one I did and the other was a trade bow. Post inspection looked like a starved glue joint. I always sized joints when using titebond, but wasnt doing it with ca. Now I do.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2019, 05:13:34 am »
I try to always size both glue surfaces to insure good glue coverage. I think over tightening clamps adds to starved glue joints. I use rubber bands wrapped around the overlays and bow tips instead of clamps. I don't think you can wrap rubber bands too tightly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rps3

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2019, 08:10:34 pm »
Pat, I use old bike innertubes, but I bet they can be overtightened. Might have to give gumbands a try.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2019, 09:31:24 pm »
I buy rubber bands(about 1/4") at Wal Mart($1.97) cut it and use it to wrap the glued overlay. You can really control where the pressure goes it will fit to any contour and I doubt you could wrap it too tight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2019, 01:33:41 pm »
I’ve been using the gel super glue, too.  This one violated the heck out of the rings.  I sanded both surfaces smooth, scored some grooves into both surfaces with a pocket knife, coated both with glue and squeezed it in place with my hands for a minute or so.  This one’s a 75# bow that I’ve used exclusively for the past two years with no problems.
...Tom

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2019, 05:01:07 pm »
Thanks for the pointer guys. I had some loc-tite brand brush on CA on hand so I used that. As test I attacked it with a scraper and a pair of pliers,  suffice to say that sucker is on there.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear