Author Topic: Anyone in Kansas or Northern Oklahoma?  (Read 13370 times)

Offline woodbow1

Re: Anyone in Kansas or Northern Oklahoma?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 01:06:33 pm »
sent you an email.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 01:26:08 pm »
Cowboy...Otoe....we scored. Woodbow and I hooked up this weekend and harvested the most beautiful 18" diameter osage that you have ever seen. What an incredible experience. We will be posting pix and narrative this week as soon as its all formated. It absolutely exceeded our expectations and Woodbow is an awesome dude. I am just getting started in bow building and need to assemble some tools. Would like to trade for them if possible. Draw knife and whatever else I need. These splits are wonderful and I can't wait to get them to the bandsaw (somewhere) and get them into stave size.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 01:45:49 pm »
Awesome.  Post pic's when you can.  I've got my eye on a tree that I'm wanting to harvest as well.  Time is what I'm lacking, but I hope I can get it cut before December. 

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 10:22:35 am »
Good deal sidewinder! Yeah, post pic's - I always like the gathering scene :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline butch

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2007, 11:39:00 pm »
i live in tulsa.      butch

Bishop

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2007, 12:50:42 pm »
I live in Milford, about 10 miles north of Junction City.
Bish

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2007, 02:04:41 pm »
Ole Junction City put a 39-10 whoopin on Derby last night for state 6A playoffs in football. Hows things going up there? You guys giot some good woods up that way?

Bishop

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 05:36:30 pm »
we have a pretty good team this year, its been awhile...lol...prob since i was playing for them  ;D. we do have some good woods up here, i live out here near Milford lake and if i could only learn how to identify trees i would prob be in hog heaven but i have no idea what im looking at.
Bish

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2007, 06:57:17 pm »
Well it's all a learning process isn't it? I have always been fascinated by plant life and geological formations wherever I go and I don't know very much, but now that I'm getting into bows and bow wood, I'm now motivated to learn to identify trees better. One things for sure I can tell a straight trunk from a crooked one and it seems to me that a guy can make a good bow out of about any wood if he uses the right design.

Bishop

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 09:28:35 pm »
That makes plenty of sense and you know ive seen some bows made and where they would put the kind of wood there is a question mark..so maybe one of the tricks is to learn what "kind" of wood makes a good bow, species aside. our county extension agent is a friend of mine so maybe i can go along on one of his bird counts and he can school me a little on trees. but its deff a learning process, i feel like a babe in the woods, literally..lol.
Bish

Offline jimmy

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2008, 01:31:55 am »
Sidewinder, I live in Wichita but grew up in the country south of Mulvane. I make, shoot, and hunt with self bows and arrows. I am new to this chat stuff. I guess I kind of live in a cave. Let's talk. I've got access to good wood and endless amounts of river cane for arrows. 

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2008, 12:49:04 pm »
Replied to your PM. I don't know many guys in this area that are into primitve. It will be good to get hooked up. I run the car lot in Derby next to the McDonalds on K-15. Bet you've been by there a hundred times....Look forward to seeing you. Danny

twosheds

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2008, 05:56:27 pm »
I live in Kansas City, KS

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2008, 02:56:20 am »
hey all. bishop, osage produces a large green fruit that looks kind of like an lumpy green grapefruit. commonly called a horse apple or hedge apple. you can spot these easily spot these on the tree in the summer and on the ground in the fall and most of winter. the trees themselves have a smooth dark brown to yellowish bark with lots of small knots with short thorns. cut into a branch and the orange colored heartwood will be there.     sidewinder- i live in western ok. 80 mi west of okc.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter