Author Topic: quiver questions  (Read 2611 times)

Offline jeffp51

quiver questions
« on: March 26, 2019, 08:33:31 pm »
My neighbor gave me 3 small buckskins so that I can make him and me a couple of quivers. fore.  The buckskin has a lot of holes in it from the tanner (they did a pretty lousy job on it)that I will have to work around.  I figure I can stitch some of the smaller holes closed.

I want to make a plains style quiver,  I have never made one before  and I don't really know what I don't know, so I could use any advice on what I have to watch out for. I have seen plenty of pictures, and I think I can guess on a pattern (it looks simple enough)But I was wondering how do deal with broadheads, especially steel ones in the soft leather.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: quiver questions
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 09:30:57 pm »
You may have to make individual broadhead covers for them that will slide off easily but still protect the quiver and arrowheads.
Use a stiffener stick that the quiver hangs from and the strap attaches to.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 10:00:50 pm »
You could also stuff a closed foam pad into the bottom of the quiver, maybe double thick.  Let me know if you need some pieces to patch the larger holes and what size.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 10:16:56 pm »
I have seen some quivers with pockets on them. What do you put in them?  I am just posting questions as I think of them

Offline ksnow

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 04:40:58 am »
Many old plains quivers had rawhide cups in the bottom to hold the arrowheads. There was a long stick attached to the cup that could be used to pull the cup out of the quiver.

Kyle

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 06:36:16 am »
Ksnow is correct about the use of a cup on a stick on some Plains quivers. This is from a Comanche quiver collected in Texas in 1868. It is currently in the National Museum of Natural History.