Author Topic: Rigid tips  (Read 1253 times)

Offline IrishJay

Rigid tips
« on: April 29, 2019, 08:53:50 pm »
I'm working on my first laminate. From the handle to about 2/3 of the way out the limbs are a trilam of dogwood/ash/walnut (back/core/belly respectively). The ash and walnut end around the 2/3 mark and from there to the tip it's the dogwood back with 4 alternating lams of cherry and apple. The bow is 69" ttt, shooting for 68" ntn. Target draw is 45-50# @ 31". Right now it has 6" of reflex. I lammed the tips up as extra thick because I want to keep the rigid or at least semi-rigid, so that they retain some flex even at full draw.

My question is, what length of tip would you guys recommend keeping rigid?

"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
Re: Rigid tips
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 04:13:09 am »
Well.... no disrespect meant but with walnut on the belly, 6' reflex and a 31" draw I would not go for too long static tips but try to get every inch of your limbs to work. Walnut is not the best in compression and with a dogwood back that might be too much.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 04:30:46 am »
None of it. With an 8 inch handle section and 68” ntn, getting a 31 inch draw out of it is already pushing the wood, it doesn’t appear all that wide either.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 08:17:37 am »
Y0ur already committed with your recurve placement,it leaves very few options.i would make it bend thru the handle at this point considering the materials.my 2 cents,good luck.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 08:35:43 am »
Bend through handle was always part of the plan. Originally it was going to be a simple low draw weight dogwood sapling selfbow,  but once I got it roughed out I realized I didnt have enough meat on the bones for that, so I started adding lams. Here's the bare dogwood stave. All the lams have been glued to it as underlays.

"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear