Author Topic: Red Maple for Bow Wood?  (Read 4465 times)

Offline bassman

Re: Red Maple for Bow Wood?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2019, 03:13:36 pm »
Smart thinking. Hope you have a winner.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2019, 04:08:13 pm »
I told myself that I was going to keep this a nice and simple, straight limbed selfbow. But, then I did some heat straightening on the one limb and saw how well this wood does with heat forming. I couldnt help myself, added some R/D, net reflex is just a tad shy of 3.5". Hopefully with proper belly tempering and careful tiller the tips will stay positive.

"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline okie64

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2019, 05:32:00 pm »
Keep an eye on the belly while tillering. Every soft maple I’ve worked fretted pretty bad for no obvious reason.

Offline Mountain Man1

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2019, 03:16:38 pm »
I just split out a beautiful red maple stave, not realizing how poorly regarded it is for bows. Hopefully you have good luck and I can draw some ideas from you when the time comes. Looking good so far, did you hear trsat the belly yet? Might avoid fretting that way when you tiller

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2019, 07:34:51 pm »
Even with a good heat treat the belly chrysaled very badly as soon I tried to get it bending. Never made it past floor tiller.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline Mountain Man1

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2019, 03:45:08 am »
Uh oh, that's not very encouraging. Hopefully I have better luck with mine, time will tell. Its clamped up and drying for now

Offline bassman

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2019, 05:13:03 am »
Irish,that was my experience with soft maple.Now if you can get a stave of rock, or sugar maple as it is some times called you can make a really nice bow.We all live and learn.