Author Topic: Whip tillered  (Read 5822 times)

Offline DC

Whip tillered
« on: May 05, 2019, 05:29:58 pm »
All else being equal would a whip tillered bow be slower than a "properly" tillered bow? May I ask why? :)

Offline sleek

Re: Whip tillered
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 05:55:37 pm »
I disagree... lmao

I think whip tillered bows would shoot a heavy arrow faster than an otherwise tillered bow. It's my impression that whip tillered bows are more efficient than otherwise.

I reserve the right to be wrong.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 08:19:35 pm »
I think string angle on a whip tillered bow would cause it to be slower pound for pound. Although I too reserve the right to reconsider upon further review.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 09:39:34 pm »
  Outter limb weakness, not allowing the whole limb to perform under it's full potential...
                                                                                                                                    Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline MattZA

• Formerly MattTheClueless
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 09:52:57 pm »
The "standard" theory suggests a whip tillered bow loses cast due to string angle.

However - it likely has lighter outer limbs which cause such a tiller shape. Perhaps this makes up for the string angle? (I too reserve the right to be wrong)
Unprofessional bowyer. Johannesburg, South Africa.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 02:52:11 am »
I wonder if it matters what sort of limb action is better, faster, more effective, etc depending on 'what' it's throwing... a light arrow or a heavy one? You can adequately throw darts with your wrist and forearm. Try that with a shotput.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

gutpile

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 05:59:13 am »
whip tilled bows may not shoot as fast to full potential of the wood but they are sweet shooting , virtually no hand shock and pretty accurate... IMO... gut

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 06:05:41 am »
If they are made intentionally make them a few inches longer to cut down on string angle and as gut pile said they can be sweet shooting. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 08:15:07 am »
Interesting when I get caught up a bit I might try one. Sounds like a tiller nightmare for me! But I remember being talked into building a pyramid bow. I think that this will require a longer  bow which means longer arrow.  Which means more mass. All from less mass of limb to transfer energy. Hummm! But then scientists Arvin has been wrong a bit!  Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 08:18:45 am »
I think it could shoot fast (-S

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 08:44:11 am »
What brought up this question was me thinking about RD bows. Depending on how much reflex in the outer limbs you start out with I was thinking that your bow could be "whip tillered" without looking like it. Matt's suggestion of string angle got me thinking that in the case of RD's the outer limb can be weak but the string angle will be fine because of all the reflex you started with. So in that case where the outer limb is weak but the string angle is good is it still 'whipped".
I agree with Del in that it's just terminology. If you start out with a Molle and just keep scraping the tips at what point does it become whipped?(hypothetical question ;D ;D)

Offline MattZA

• Formerly MattTheClueless
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2019, 05:40:02 pm »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks these things all day long, DC ;D

As it happens I'm currently working on my first R/D bow. Beautiful piece of ash spliced into a minor deflex. I'm going to reflex the outer third right up to the very tips. Then I'm going to keep the final five inches static by laying down a strip of purpleheart that will serve as a nock tip that becomes a stiffener for the static. Purpleheart handle. I think it'll look great against the white of the ash.

Only reason I'm telling you this is because I'm now considering adding more reflex and then whip tillering it a bit right up to the beginning of the static reflex.
Unprofessional bowyer. Johannesburg, South Africa.

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2019, 06:00:08 pm »
About the only advice I can give is the more reflex you try to put in the more it will pull out. I think there may be a point where it just won't take any more.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2019, 06:47:10 pm »
  Outter limb weakness, not allowing the whole limb to perform under it's full potential...
                                                                                                                                    Don

This makes the most sense to me
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Woodely

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2019, 06:54:31 pm »
Imagine this topic has come up hundreds of times,  always thought the last 4" of the tips should be on the stiff side for decent performance.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."