Author Topic: Reluctant bends  (Read 1321 times)

Offline DC

Reluctant bends
« on: May 07, 2019, 09:55:15 am »
I have a piece of yew that I have to bend through the handle. I tried it twice and both times it returned almost back to where it started. I tried it again last night and bent it almost twice as much as it needs to see if that helps. My question is how long do you have to leave it clamped up? I've done lots of them and normally I leave them overnight if it's a large bend or a few hours if it's a smallish bend. But if it's a stubborn bend like this is there any advantage to leaving it clamped longer. It's been 12 hours now so it's definitely cooled off.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Reluctant bends
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 10:21:05 am »
Can’t answer that. What I can offer is that I have 4 freezer packs, That I put on the bends to cool them down more rapidly. I just rotate them until it’s cold to the touch. Having never worked Scotch Pine...I’m sorry Yew, 😎, it May react differently to it than Osage, but typically I can take them off the form pretty quickly without waiting overnight. You just have to contend with the condensation.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 10:24:59 am »
I generally just aim a fan at them and check the temp with my infrared thermometer. When the heated area is the same temp as the rest I'm good to go.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 10:43:05 am »
I did have a Hackberry that wouldn’t hold the bend. Wouldn’t bend well no matter how hot I got it, and what little bend it took, it straightened out before the day was over. Really agrivating. Ended up breaking the last 6 inches of the tip off trying to flip the tips. Dry heat. Steam might have worked but I don’t think so. Just a peculiar piece of Hackberry. Every other one has bent like Playdo when heated up. Who knows??
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 11:59:07 am »
maybe try steaming, and then dry heat to set it before you take it off,,

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 12:22:43 pm »
I knew that! Why didn't i think of it? Sometimes my brain fails me. (Shakin' my head) :D :D

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 12:34:22 pm »
hope it works,, (W :)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 01:30:42 pm »
I was thinking like Brad said. HHB is a whole different critter than Osage when it comes to manipulating its shape. Never had a Yew. I usually steam in more aggressive bends and then dry heat and heat treatment for minor corrections. Then I set the steamed areas with dry heat.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise