Author Topic: Fried Gills "oh my"  (Read 8703 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Fried Gills "oh my"
« on: May 15, 2019, 05:17:09 am »
    Went fishing Wednesday and caught some Gills!  The only way for me is to fry them bone in...Start with salting the fish, splash them in an egg/milk wash and cover with corn meal...I like my grease to reach 375 before I drop them...Doesn't take long for them to turn golden brown...Man, I had to be careful of my fingers! Fish is a favorite around my house...
                                                                                                                                                     Don
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 05:10:37 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline sleek

Re: Fried Gills "oh my"
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 06:58:44 am »
Love me some pan fish! Especially bream!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 02:01:33 pm »
I do that with them! its awesome!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 01:20:52 am »
I do 'Em the same way - MMMMMMMMM  -C- ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 03:07:35 pm »
Aw man, I am sick as a dog, haven't eaten in two days and so miserable the dog don't even wanna put up with me...and now this?  Plate of that would wreck a funeral when the dead man bellies up to get a share of that!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 04:37:18 pm »
grew up on them fixed just like that.
now my  wife prefers them filleted.
waters still too cold for the gills to turn on here.
its time and I been trying,
water is still in the mid 50s.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 05:09:11 pm »
     JW, I would be the one wrecking the funeral, LOL...Man I have ate more than my share of Gills, I only keep enough for a mess and turn the rest back...
     Kevin, my wife is the same way, if you look closely you will see a few fillets from my trusty electric knife...She hates picking bones...They taste better to me with the bone in for some reason...Maybe that's why I keep biting my fingers?
                                                                                                                                                                          Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 06:39:22 pm »
they do taste better bone in.
but scaled and filleted isn't bad.
we caught a mixed mess of 17 sunnies and gills tonight .
the bass are starting to bed .
hopefully the fishing is gonna pick up.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:43:24 pm by KHalverson »

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 11:50:20 pm »
Would love to get a big channel cat for steaks!  And a bunch of morels on the side!  Haven't seen a bluegill big enough to eat in 40+ years!  Nor a channel cat for that matter!  Maybe this is why I don't eat much fish >:D (lol) (lol)!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 05:50:36 pm »
  Caught some more today Kevin, water warming here, was 93 today calling for 99 next Saturday...Time to get on them cat's at night, I hate the heat here in S.C.
  Hawkdancer, get out there and wet a line buddy...Where do you live? Gotta be a gill somewhere...I do favor Channel Cat's over all Catfish for table fare...Love them speckled cats...
                                                                              Don

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 10:11:12 pm »
We're in Colorado, about 5,000 ft above sea level, sort of the transition zone!  I do need to get out and wet a line, in fact we are planning a 3-4 day trip in a couple of weeks!  'Course, got to get the licenses, too >:D
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry